La Romana hotels
Luxurious La Romana
With almost 100 per cent employment and a multitude of golfing greens, La Romana is not your typical Dominican Republic town. It is, however, the perfect destination for those who want to experience the culture, cuisine and stunning coastlines of the Dominican Republic.
Luxury is the keystone of La Romana’s tourism industry, because if it weren’t self-indulgent it wouldn’t be anything. The town formed in the early 1900s and has no notable architecture – unless you count the artificial medieval village Altos de Chavón. Instead, visitors whittle away the hours diving off the Coca Reef, eating ice cream on the dock of La Marina, dancing a decidedly dodgy merengue in the popular club Big Sur, or enjoying the view of the Rio Chavon and its surrounding mountains – probably with a Presidente in one hand and a cigar in the other.
La Romana’s Top 10
10. Ponce de León Fort Museum Spanish Conquistador Juan Ponce De León’s 16th century home.
5. Crazy Wheels La Romana might be atypically affluent, but the villages on this off-road excursion certainly aren’t.
9. Underwater Living Museum Created by a 300-year-old shipwreck, this artificial reef is almost better than the real deal.
4. Bayahibe Scuba diving at Bayahibe Beach is definitely worth holding your breath for!
8. Cueva de las Maravillas This fascinating cave system is dotted with over 250 Taino cave drawings. Bats stay hidden during tourist hours. Mostly…
3. Tabacalera de Garcia With almost 10 million cigars in their inventory, choosing which to spend your $40 admission on could take as long as the tour itself.
7. Padre Nuestro Ecotouristim and Archeological Trail As a general rule, you shouldn’t let strangers lead you into deep forests, abandoned huts or dark caves. This unique tour is the exception.
2. Parque Nacionale Del Este Limpkin and red-legged thrush sound like diseases, but they’re actually some of the native birds found in this intriguing park.
6. Catalina Island Magnificent dive sites, pure beaches, coral reefs and native plants make up this uninhabited island.
1. Altos De Chavón Village A re-created medieval village complete with an amphitheatre that actually hosts good musical acts and Mediterranean restaurants that actually serve good food.
La Romana History
- La Aleta – This ancient Indian site features many Taino artifacts.
- Altos de Chavon Village – Recreation of an ancient Tuscan village and a must-see for those interested in the history of La Romana.
- Higuey – This small village outside of the city will give visitors a taste of what the Dominican Republic was like in the past.
- Church of Saint Stanislaus – This church is famous for its fountain of lions and its amazing views.
- Bayahibe – A historic fishing village near the city still operates much as it did in ancient times.
La Romana Art & Culture
- Altos de Chavon School of Design – The top artists in the Dominican Republic are trained at this school.
- Regional Museum of Archaeology – A must-see for those interested archaeology.
- Virgen de la Altagracia Cathedral – This modern cathedral outside La Romana was built for the patron saint of the area.
- Altos de Chavon Amphitheatre – Brilliant performances are put on regularly at this beautiful theatre.
- Manati Park Bavaro – This theme park features many tropical animals and plants that are unique to the area.
La Romana Shopping
- Altos de Chavon Art Gallery – A great place to buy works of art from local artists.
- JUMBO – This chain superstore has just about everything a person might need.
- Caribbean Street Shopping Village – Plaza features a wide array of stores.
- La Marina de Caso de Campo – This upscale shopping area features high-end clothing stores.
- El Limon Shopping Centre – This exciting store is a great place to stock up on local foods.
Gay & Lesbian La Romana
- Hotel Spa La Romana – Gay-friendly hotel and spa in La Romana offers excellent rooms.
- Europa – This gay club features shows on the weekends and stays open late every night.
- Venta Club – This disco is open to all types of people and has a popular dance floor.
- Aire – Nightclub features a mixed crowds and one of the most lively dance floors in the area.
- Barcelo Cappella Night Club – For dancing and great cocktails, the gay and lesbian community flock to this club.
La Romana Outdoor
- Ryanna Sun – This beautiful beach is lined with palm trees.
- Playa Caleta La Romana – This beach is a favourite among locals and a great place to take a swim.
- Minitas – One of the most peaceful and quiet beaches in La Romana, perfect for a quiet day in the sun.
- Cueva de las Maravillas – Just a short drive from La Romana are these caves, which are worth a day trip to explore.
- Rio Chavon – Hikers flock to these waterfalls for the beautiful natural surroundings and killer views.
La Romana Sport
- Drive a dune buggy with Crazy Wheels.
- Challenge yourself at the Teeth of the Dog Golf Course of La Romana.
- Play a round of golf at Dye Fore.
- Hit the fairways at The Links Course.
- Hike the lovely trails at Natura Park in La Roman.
LA Romana Events
A festival celebrating tobacco would be frowned upon in most places, but ProCigar Festival’s culture, cuisine and cigar ‘tastings’ are hard to dislike (February).
March’s BoMana Jazz and Fusion Music Festival is unique, with genres ranging from jazz to guloyan, gagá and kettledrums.
The Heineken Jazz Festival in July is the biggest event on La Romana’s jazz calendar. Past acts have included Carlos Santana and even Frank Sinatra.
The red carpet is rolled out for November’s Global Dominican Film Festival. Global issues and personal stories are the prevailing inspiration.
Pink sunsets and fragrant night air make the sweet sound of the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival (November) that much sweeter.
When To Go
From December to May, rain is minimal and temperatures are hot but bearable.
June to October is the rainy season, with thunderstorms and high humidity.
The threat of hurricanes is at its highest during the rainy season.
One of the most popular ways to get around is by motoconcho – motorbikes driven by locals looking to make an extra buck. They’re fast and cheap (if you haggle), but you ride at your own risk.
If you’re put off by up to four helmet-less people riding one motorbike, the bus system is relatively reliable.
Riding the Dominican railway is out of the question unless you’re transporting cargo.
Beautifully designed to blend harmoniously into the surrounding landscape, this property with its warm welcome and contemporary service assures you a refreshing and comfortable stay amidst a... More
Ctra San Pedro - Romana km 12, Map
2 KIDS UNDER 12 STAY FREE, with 2 Adults
The hotel is an enchanting intimate hideaway where an eco-friendly philosophy compliments the comfortable, gracious atmosphere and warm hospitality of an inviting home. GeneralThis property also... More
Los Altos Club is a luxury vacation club consisting of rental residences with an award winning design that is a perfect blend of Caribbean architecture melding the tropical style with Asian... More
Carretera San Pedro - La Romana, Map
Have a tranquil getaway in this Dominican Republic city while staying at the beachfront colonial-style accommodations of Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection -Adults Only -All... More
perfect club hotel
KIDS 12 AND UNDER EAT, PLAY & STAY FREE
For adults and kids alike, Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach - All Inclusive is a resort that embodies their lifelong vision of a Caribbean vacation spot and is a place where fun and action are a way of... More
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace - All Inclusive offers more relaxed and elegant atmosphere as well as ensures your fun filled holidays are pleasant and unforgettable. GeneralBusiness travellers can... More
Vacationers looking for a tranquil beachfront retreat find ideal haven at the contemporary accommodations of Be Live Collection Canoa - All Inclusive. Patrons of this all-inclusive spa hotel in La... More
Offering exceptional accommodation and contemporary service in a relaxing atmosphere, this property is an ideal place for a splendid vacation in La Romana. GeneralThe Casa De Campo La Romana... More
Playa Bayahibe Map
Featuring a beachfront location and comfortable accommodation, Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa - Luxury All Inclusive is an ideal place for your vacations. GeneralFunction space for classroom and... More
Featuring pleasant ambience and comfortable accommodation, this hotel welcomes you for an unforgettable holiday in Juan Dolio. GeneralAfter an exhausting day, you can have a refreshing dip or... More
You get what you pay for