Juan Dolio hotels
Juan Dolio Rundown
Bávaro, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata dominate the leisure tourism sector in the Dominican Republic but Juan Dolio presents a formidable case. The argument for the on the rise resort city in San Pedro de Macorís is not all about proximity to Santo Domingo, the lively capital of the Caribbean nation. Indeed, it helps that Juan Dolio is in the shadow of a city with a singular UNESCO World Heritage quarter. After all, a memorable day trip from the beach is just a one hour taxi ride away.
The temptation to just bliss out on the beach, however, is strong. This is the Dominican Republic, lest we forget, and few islands in the world match it for tropical diversion. Juan Dolio offers just enough of that telltale coastal charm to lure the winter weary hordes throughout the high season. Again, with the big city a mere 37 miles (60 km) away, the Santo Domingo satellite is a popular target for domestic tourists as well. While not the all-inclusive hub of a Punta Cana, the prospect of a chillout beach holiday in Juan Dolio is doable.
Juan Dolio’s Top 10
10. Museum of the Casas Reales is one of the best museums in DR, let alone Santo Domingo.
5. San Pedro de Macorís Parque Duarte is a park and popular congregation spot.
9. Dr. Rafael Ma. Moscoso National Botanical Garden is a prime oasis in the big national capital.
4. Guavaberry Golf and Country Club is where to go to work on that slice.
8. Playa Esmeralda delivers all the beach goods sun-hungry tourists desire.
3. Colonial City of Santo Domingo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site not far from Juan Dolio.
7. Playa Guayacanes is a popular beach with locals.
2. Guavaberry Club de Playa is a Juan Dolio hot spot.
6. Playa Juan Dolio is the bellwether attraction in the city.
1. San Pedro de Macorís Church of San Pedro is the humble Roman Catholic archdiocese of the capital of San Pedro de Macorís province.
Juan Dolio History
- Playa Caribe – Famous cove shaped beach found near Juan Dolio and visited by numerous tourists.
- Cueva de las Maravillas – Famous art gallery where tourists can browse through various collections of pre-Columbian art.
- San Pedro de Macoris – Well-known baseball city near Juan Dolio where Sammy Sosa, the baseball superstar, was born.
- Bayahibe – The historical city is home to caves such as Cueva Cotubanama, Cueva del Puente and La Cueva de Berna.
- Villas Del Mar – The biggest tourist center on the southern coast of the Dominican Republic.
Juan Dolio Art & Culture
- Museo del Hombre Dominicano – Tourists will find this museum filled with Taino and Dominican artefacts.
- Reserva Antropológica El Pomier – The museum has a rock art collection and rich cultural practices of various tribes in the Caribbean.
- Ciudad Colonial – Museums with rich artefacts and artworks portraying the Taino and Dominican tales during the Spanish colonial period.
- Hato Mayor Sabana de la Mar Road – This natural jungle on the north of Juan Dolio has a tropical plantation with botanical gardens and flower farms.
- Juan Dolio Merengue Festival – A forum where tourists meet the locals and dance to original merengue beats in September.
Juan Dolio Shopping
- Decameron Hotel – A hotel in Juan Dolio that has a supermarket with the best Dominican coffee.
- Santo Domingo – This city near Juan Dolios has various shopping malls that will enable you experience the Dominican culture and history.
- Juan Dolio Beach – The beach in Juan Dolio has many small shops on its front.
- Catalina Island – This Island near Juan Dolio has a stretch of beach where friendly vendors sell special souvenirs.
- La Romana Airport – Shopping arena for tourists who want to get a wide range of duty-free products.
Juan Dolio Gay & Lesbian
- Catalina Island – Favourable area where gays and lesbians can go for deep diving and enjoy the sun.
- Fior de Lotto – A unique, gay-friendly hotel originally opened as a cultural centre.
- Barcelo Capella – Gay-friendly hotel renowned for its golf course.
- Coral Costa Carribe – Located in Juan Dolio, this gay-friendly hotel is famous for its discotheque.
- Playa Esmeralda Beach resort – Gay-friendly resort with great access to the beaches in Juan Dolio.
Juan Dolio Outdoor
- Go Kart Bahn – A special racetrack on the highway of Juan Dolio to San Pedro. Go-karts are rented on the track.
- Columbus Lighthouse – Supposedly contains the remnants of Christopher Columbus.
- Guavaberry Equestrian Centre – Offers various trails in addition to horseback riding lessons.
- Cueva de las Maravillas – This cave located in Juan Dolio is a place where tourists can experience the cultures and artworks of carvings on the cave walls of pre-Colombian Dominicans.
- Excursions – Tourists will enjoy a number of guided tours to Catalina Island, mangrove parks, Tropical Plantation and botanical gardens.
Juan Dolio Sport
- Catch the Easter Stars in action at the Tetelo Vargas Baseball Stadium
- Play golf at the Los Marlins and Country Club in Juan Dolio.
- Go horseback riding at Rancho Cumayasa.
- Watch a polo match at Guavaberry Equestrian Centre.
- Enjoy the scenery while jogging in Juan Dolio.
Juan Dolio Events
Water sports provide ample recreation on the Juan Dolio coast.
Estrellas Orientales baseball at Estadio Tetelo Vargas is the most popular local pasttime.
Santo Domingo International Film Festival is one of the best in the Caribbean.
Meringue Festival of Santo Domingo is a foremost cultural heritage event in the capital of the Dominican Republic.
When To Go
The best time to go to the Dominican Republic is when it mercury drops below 32°F (0°C) in North America. The tropical monsoon climate is the perfect escape from winter and drives the crux of the tourist season.
As a result, it is preferable to venture to the country between the months of November and March. Temperatures, for the most part, do waver between 72°F (22°C) and 93°F (34°C) for the year, however.
Proximity to Santo Domingo makes a trip to Juan Dolio rather clearcut. Simply fly in to Las Américas International Airport from the likes of Miami or New York City and catch a cab to your resort.
Within Juan Dolio proper, a taxi will do for short trips at night and jaunts to the capital. Otherwise, the beach town is small enough to navigate on foot.
Juan Dolio General Information
Few islands in the Caribbean, or for that matter, the world, offer affordable and desirable tropical fun like the Dominican Republic. The country that shares Hispaniola with Haiti is home to a formidable tourism industry that welcomes millions of annual sun, sand and surf thirsty visitors from North America and Europe, for the most part.
As DR’s prosperity and reputation as a premier holiday destination rises, one island enclave sure to benefit is Juan Dolio. A small beach resort community not altogether far from frenetic capital city Santo Domingo, Juan Dolio offers enough inherent coastal charm to attract solid crowds throughout the high season. With the big city a mere 60 km away, Juan Dolio is a popular destination for domestic tourists as well. While far from flashy and with a notable lack of rowdy nightlife, Juan Dolio is attractive for anyone who wants a quiet, serene, uneventful beach holiday. Less busy than other, more notable tourist areas on the island, the small resort charms visitors with a decidedly authentic, Dominican feel. As a result, take Juan Dolio for what it is: a solid resort area with several excellent hotels that offer enviable access to the beach and Caribbean coast.
Attractions & Activities
- San Pedro de Macorís Church of San Pedro
- San Pedro de Macorís Parque Duarte
- Guavaberry Golf and Country Club
- Torre Atabey
- Guavaberry Club de Playa
- Playa Juan Dolio
- Playa Guayacanes
- Playa Esmeralda
- Water Sports
- Estrellas Orientales baseball at Estadio Tetelo Vargas
Restaurants & Nightlife
- Robby Mar
- Le Meson
- Barcelo Capella Beach Resort
- Barceló Talanquera Beach
- Bar El Cacique
- Guilias Sports Bar
- Bar II Capuccino
- El Sueno
- Casablanca Café Piano Bar
Juan Dolio has a tropical monsoon climate, with temperatures between 16°C and 34°C for the year and heavy rainfall between May and October.
Ctra San Pedro - Romana km 12, Map
2 KIDS UNDER 12 STAY FREE, with 2 Adults
The hotel is an enchanting intimate hideaway where an eco-friendly philosophy compliments the comfortable, gracious atmosphere and warm hospitality of an inviting home. GeneralThis property also... More
Boutique Hotel Palacio Santo Domingo is located in the Heart Of The Colonial City within easy walking distance of Santo Domingo''''s Most Important Historical Monument. In Its Time-It was The... More
51 George Washington Ave. 3691 Map
Complimentary American Breakfast
Featuring exquisite atmosphere and copious facilities, the Napolitano Hotel & Casino Santo Domingo is an idyllic base for both business and leisure travellers to have an enticing experience. ... More
Calle Duarte, esquina Caracol Map
Enjoy the beach next to the city at Be Live Experience Hamaca Garden - All Inclusive. The highlight of Santo Domingo is its colonial district which boasts the Americas oldest cathedral, the... More
George Washington Avenue, #500 Map
Summer Sale - Rate includes 25% off, resort credit
Assuring courteous service and quality amenities, the Hilton Hotel Santo Domingo prides itself as an ideal location for business and leisure travellers. GeneralThis hotel offers 7 well-equipped... More
Los Altos Club is a luxury vacation club consisting of rental residences with an award winning design that is a perfect blend of Caribbean architecture melding the tropical style with Asian... More
The attentive and personalized staff at the 5 star Barcelo Santo Domingo is experienced at providing the specific services and amenities that tourists and business people need. Close to the... More
Good location, great hotel !
Carretera San Pedro - La Romana, Map
Have a tranquil getaway in this Dominican Republic city while staying at the beachfront colonial-style accommodations of Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection -Adults Only -All... More
perfect club hotel
Caracoles Av. Boca Chica Map
Be Live Experience Hamaca Suites - All Inclusive is a haven of luxury and service. The white contemporary architecture of the hotel combined with the beauty of the gentle turquoise waters of the... More