The beautiful capital of Croatia is a special city, with layers of history to uncover. As the veritable pulse point of the country, Zagreb has it all, from Old World charm to dynamic nightlife. While many think of Croatia in terms of resorts on the Adriatic coast and destinations like Split and Dubrovnik, the capital is well worth the short trip inland.
With over 1.2 million people, Zagreb is a busy, vibrant metropolis. A chic and cosmopolitan capital with one foot in Old Europe, the city has a wide range of architecture to admire, from Medieval and Baroque, to Art Nouveau and Modern. Indeed, Zagreb offers the best of the continent, both east and west, incarnate. Superb attractions in the city include the Mimara Museum, Croatian National History Museum and National Theatre. The historic district of Gradec, home to St. Mark’s Square and the Parliament of Croatia, is a must.
- Jesuit Church of St Catherine – Located in the Upper Town's Katarina Trg, this 1600s baroque-style church boasts a beautiful façade and an impressive interior.
- Zagreb Cathedral/Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary – This gothic cathedral, located in the Kaptol district, dominates Zagreb’s Kaptol Square.
- Parliament Building (Croatian Sabor) - Croatia's Parliament Building and political hub, this popular tourist attraction presides over Markov Trg (St Mark's Square).
- St Mark's Church (Crkva Svetog Marka) – One of Zagreb’s most distinctive landmarks. The church is famed for its elaborate tiled roof.
- Lotrscak Tower (Kula Lotrscak) – This tower, which dates back to the mid-13th century, was constructed to protect Zagreb’s southern gate from attack.
Zagreb Art & Culture
- Ethnographic Museum – This museum provides an insight into the life of Croatian residents and displays a wide range of clothing and other implements from the past.
- Archaeological Museum – The modern building in which the Archaeological Museum is housed contrasts starkly with the wealth of prehistoric artefacts found here.
- Museum of the City – This much-loved museum is to be discovered in a former 17th-century convent.
- Museum for Arts and Crafts – A fine Zagreb arts and crafts museum that features a wealth of exhibits relating to Croatian culture.
- Klovicevi Dvori Gallery – Housed within a converted monastery, this museum displays a huge exhibit of modern masterpieces.
- Lower Town – Large shopping centres and brand-name stores are located here.
- Upper Town – This part of Zagreb is home to souvenir shops and arts and crafts stores.
- Radiceva Street – Here, tourists can find a noted gallery in which original artwork can be found.
- Kaptol Centre – This area features a broad good selection of upscale shops.
- Importanne Malls – Located near the main train station, this huge shopping mall is packed with people of a weekend.
Gay & Lesbian Zagreb
- Rush - A gay bar situated in the centre of Zagreb.
- David – A gay-owned, gay-friendly sauna and bar.
- Bumerang – A sauna in which guests can enjoy soft drinks at the bar or relax in the video cabin.
- Kic - A gay-friendly Internet café located in city centre.
- Sirup – A stylish gay dance club featuring a unique interior.
- Ban Jelacic Square – A focal outdoors point in Zagreb.
- Medvedgrad Fortress - Located southwest of the centre of the city, this sizeable medieval fort may have been erected in the mid-13th century.
- Mount Medvednica – A natural landmark, Mount Medvednica is easily accessed with the aid of the hourly cable car service.
- Kamenita Vrata Gate/Stone Gate - Zagreb's only remaining gate.
- Botanical Garden (Botanicki Vrt) – This beautiful garden provides tourists with a pleasant alternative to sightseeing in the city.
- Watch recreational swimming at the indoor, Olympic-size pool based at the Utrine sports centre in Novi Zagreb.
- Catch skating at the ice rink in Trg Sportova (Sports Square).
- Enjoy recreational horseback riding at the Hippodrome Zagreb.
- Support KHL Medveščak Zagreb ice hockey team at the Dom Športova.
- Watch GNK Dinamo Zagreb football club at the Stadion Maksimir.
- Archaeological Museum
- Mimara Museum
- Museum of the City of Zagreb
- Croatian National History Museum
- Croatian National Theatre
- Zagreb Baroque Festival
- Croatia Open
- International Folklore Festival
- Dubrovnik Put
- Ribarski Brevijar
- Piranha Bar
- Skola Lounge Bar
Zagreb has a humid continental/oceanic climate, with four distinct seasons.
- Winter (November to February) -4-8°C
- Spring (March to May) 1-20°C
- Summer (June to August) 13-26°C
- Fall (September to October) 6-22°C
Zagreb On Wikipedia
Zagreb official guide
10 hotels in Zagreb, HR
Escape to the BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Astoria Zagreb and experience the ultimate in comfort and service accommodating guests travelling to Zagreb for business or pleasure. GeneralFeaturing 5... More
Boasting a long and distinguished history, the Regent Esplanade Zagreb is famed for its impeccably high standards of service and welcomes all type of holidaymakers for a pleasant and tranquil stay.... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and convenient facilities, The Westin Zagreb Hotel is an ideal place to spend your relaxing vacation. GeneralThe highly trained staff will make your stay more... More
Sheraton Hotel Zagreb makes you feel comfortable and connected while you explore the local sights, take care of important business, or spend time with the ones you love. General Find inspiration... More
DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Zagreb welcomes patrons to stylish accommodations set in the heart of Zagreb business district. Tourists at this modern hotel can visit famous Zagreb attractions like... More
Hotel Paradise Zagreb offers affordable accommodation, excellent amenities and friendly staff to make the stay comfortable. Area attractions, which the guests can visit are Avenue Mall and... More
Hotel Dubrovnik Zagreb can be your ideal host in Zagreb, having a rich tradition of hospitality since 1929. Hotels prime location at the Zagreb's main city square Trg Ban J. Jelacic makes it your... More
Combining the highest standards of elegance, comfort and exclusivity with the most exquisite attention, the Palace Hotel Zagreb is an ideal place for you to reside. LocationLocated in the city of... More
Providing modern conveniences and personalised service, the Hotel I Zagreb is a perfect venue for an unforgettable vacation in Zagreb. LocationLocated at the southern entrance to Zagreb, the Hotel... More