In the grand scheme of it all, a population of less than 2 million people seems paltry in comparison with the likes of Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and others in Zhejiang province like Hangzhou, Wenzhou and Ningbo. Indeed, while Yiwu may barely make the top ten in Zhejiang, let alone the People’s Republic of China, the city is a poster child economic success story.
A popular target for business travellers the world over, Yiwu is the home of Yiwu International Trade City. One of the foremost wholesale commodity markets on the planet, the International Trade City covers close to 1,000 acres (400 hectares), more than Central Park in New York City, and hosts thousands of booth operators and merchants.
While the rapid, purposeful urban development of Yiwu is a deliberate economic chess move typical of New China’s white-hot capitalism, the city actually dates back more than 2,000 years to the Qin Dynasty. A few venerable landmarks remain and proximate points of interest offer a counterpoint to the express commercial interests of the county-level city.
Yiwu’s Top 10
10. Hangzhou Bay Bridge, all 22 mi (36 km) of it, is a pilgrimage point for international structural engineers.
5. Shuanglong Scenic Area is a major national attraction close to the prefecture-level city of Jinhua, some 35 mi (57 km) from Yiwu.
9. West Lake in Hangzhou is a mere 60 mi (100 km) from Yiwu.
4. Mount Putuo, in Zhoushan prefecture, is one of four sacred Buddhist mountains in China.
8. Guyue Bridge dates back to the 13th century.
3. Xiuhu Park and Lake provide repose and recreation to Yiwu locals and visitors.
7. Yandang Mountain World Geopark is one of the best natural assets in Zhejiang province. Close to Wenzhou.
2. Luo Binwang Tomb is the only national monument in the vicinity of the city.
6. Thousnad Island Lake, Chun'an County is a magnificent scenic area a few hours north of the city.
1. Yiwu International Trade City lures millions of business travellers to Yiwu every year.
- Luo Binwang Tomb - This tomb commemorates the early Tang dynasty poet Luo Binwang.
- Chen Wangdao Home - The Yiwu home of this famous Chinese revolutionary is one of the main historical attractions of the city.
- Dingdian Village - This historic village houses some of the most important cenotaphs from the Tang dynasty.
- Hometown of Zong Ze - This area commemorates the famous general of the Northern Song Dynasty and is located near the city centre.
- Feng Xuefeng Home - This man from Yiwu contributed immensely to the Chinese Revolution, and this home is his monument.
Yiwu Art & Culture
- Da’an Temple - This temple offers spectacular views of Xiuhu Lake.
- Chi’an Town - This ancient town operates much as it did centuries ago, which makes it a great place to learn about local culture.
- Yiwu Museum - The rich and sometimes dark history of Yiwu is revealed in this popular museum.
- Yiwu Shuanglin Temple - This famous temple is home to important artwork and religious relics.
- Jinhua Aiging Cultural Park - It is worth the short trip to see this beautiful park, which is also home to a museum.
- Yiwu International Trade City - This gigantic wholesale market has great bargains on bulk items.
- Bingwang Market - This street market sells all types of local handicrafts and foods.
- Huangyuan Market - One of many street markets where shoppers can find all types of local handmade items.
- Chinese Small Commodity City - This market was first established over 20 years ago and is one of the biggest in the region.
- Knitting Market - If you are looking for socks, this wholesale market is the best place to go.
Gay & Lesbian Yiwu
- Yiwu Star Male Massage - This-gay owned massage parlour offers a great way to relax after a hard day of sightseeing.
- Red Bar - This gay bar near Yiwu caters mostly to a young gay crowd, especially on weekends, when it often has shows.
- Only Love - This karaoke bar is a favourite among the gay and lesbian crowd.
- Yiwu Disco - This popular dance club is open to all people but is especially popular with young gay men.
- Yiwu Best Spa - This spa stays open very late, which makes it a favourite among gay men.
- Xiuhu Lake - This lake is famous for its beautiful shoreline, which is great for taking a walk.
- Desheng Cliff - The views of Yiwu from atop this cliff are the best in the entire area.
- Songpu Hill - Climb to the top to see the waterfalls.
- Foyun Mountain - This mountain is a popular spot for bird watching and hiking near the city.
- Yiwu Dutiful Son Temple Park - The landscaping makes this a great place for a stroll to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors.
- Trek to the top of Yuwan Mountain.
- Hike to the top of Zhugong Cliff for great views of Yiwu.
- Take a jog on the trails at Dishuiyan Park.
- Explore the caves of Zhugong Rock.
- Catch a soccer match at Yiwu Stadium.
Found in the Zhejiang Province near the central eastern coast of China, Yiwu has a rich history stretching back to the Qing dynasty. Culture and heritage can be seen though museums, art galleries and temples in the city. Since the area is surrounded by mountains, it features wonderful natural attractions such as Xiuhu Lake.
- Da'ansi Pagoda
- Luo Binwang Tomb
- Shengshou Temple
- Explore Desheng Cliff
- See the waterfall at Songpu Hill
- Visit the market on Chouzhou Road
Influenced by a subtropical monsoon climate, Yiwu has four defined seasons. The mild climate, with average annual temperatures of around 63°F (17°C), allows visitors to visit this beautiful Chinese city almost anytime of the year. The months of September and October boast autumnal changes and pleasant weather and are a popular time to visit.
Getting There & Around
By air, visitors will fly to the Yiwu Airport, which lies 3 miles (5 km) northwest of the city. There are regular shuttle buses that connect travellers from the airport to their accommodations.
Getting around can be done by rail, bus or taxi. The Yiwu rail station, located at the Changjiangban Village of Houzhai Street about 6 miles (10 km) from the city's centre, takes tourists to destinations outside of the city. Buses and taxis are available to visitors who want to travel within the city to see sites and attractions.
Yiwu Consumer Goods Sourcing Fair takes place in late April.
China International Tourism Commodities Fair occurs in Yiwu in late June.
Both the Yiwu International Commodities Fair and Yiwu International Home Products Fair take place in late October.
Yiwu International Forest Products Fair takes place in early November.
When To Go
Yiwu has a humid subtropical climate with four distinct seasons. Long summers extend from May to September and feature conditions well above the 86°F (30°C) mark. The temperature range in July and August is from 77°F (25°C) to 91°F (33°C).
The city receives upwards of 57 in (1,500 mm) of rain a year with relatively even distribution. Winters are slightly drier on the whole but get quite chilly. Temperatures run from 1.5°F (35°C) to 11°F (52°C) between December and February.
In the end, the most comfortable months to visit Yiwu are April, May, October and November.
More Info On Getting Around
Yiwu has a small airport that serves the domestic market and just over half a million passengers a year. Destinations on the grid include Beijing-Capital, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Kunming, Shenzhen, Wuhan and Zhengzhou.
Most visitors to the city arrive by bus, train or car from the likes of Hangzhou, Wenzhou or Shanghai, which is some 177 mi (285 km) away.
Whether you come to Yiwu for business or pleasure, this hotel offers a friendly atmosphere and makes your stay a pleasant one. GeneralThe hotel offers 3 well-equipped conference rooms that can... More
Combining Eastern and Western aesthetics, Americas Best Inn & Suites Yue Ting International Yiwu lets cosmopolitan travellers feel right at home in their charming accommodations. This Hangzhou... More
Budgetel Hua Du Inn & Suites Yiwu is well designed with an American concept of modern, up-market and fashionable style that creates a relaxing atmosphere. Guests will enjoy personalised services... More
Offering spectacular amenities, pleasant ambience and a warm welcome, the BEST WESTERN PREMIER Ocean Hotel is an ideal base for business and leisure travellers. GeneralThe BEST WESTERN offers... More