What travelers to Nanjing are saying
Today’s Nanjing is a metropolitan mix of the old and the new, and we’re not just talking about the city’s residents. Top universities stand alongside crumbling ruins harking back to Nanjing’s glory days as the capital of China, so if you like to take your ancient culture with a dose of shopping mega-plazas, Nanjing is your kinda town.
For the old stuff, visit the Jiangsu Art Gallery and the Red Chamber Art Garden, or head to Hunan Road if you’ve ever wondered what Las Vegas’ Fremont Street would look like if it was converted into a Chinese shopping mall. The Linggu Temple, Qixia Temple and Jiming Temple will see you satisfied as far as monuments go, and say a prayer to the city’s teeming foreign student population when it’s time to dine. Unlike most Chinese cities, this one dishes out more international cuisine than it does straight-up MSG.
Nanjing’s Top 10
10. Xinjiekou Shopping, shopping and more shopping. Bring a map, and possibly a GPS.
5. Nanjing Museum Plenty of historical exhibits to aid your quest for cultural immersion.
9. Gate of China This 14th century gate is one of the most complex structures in the world.
4. City Walls These mammoth walls were designed to keep out invaders back in the 1300s.
8. Purple Mountain Make like Indiana Jones and hit up the tombs at this iconic area.
3. Nanjing Massacre Memorial A fascinating structure depicting the thousands of Chinese who died at the hands of Japanese soldiers in WWII.
7. Qin Huai River A stack of attractions and the perfect place for a post-date stroll.
2. Ming Dynasty Imperial Palace Once an epic palace of riches, now smaller but still impressive.
6. Presidential Palace This former imperial HQ is now a nifty museum filling you in on the various dynasties that changed the country.
1. Confucius Temple Get in touch with your philosophical side at the biggest Confucius statue anywhere.
- Xiaoling Tomb of Ming Dynasty – Much to see among these ancient Nanjing ruins and cemeteries.
- Nanjing Massacre Memorial – This sobering memorial offers a grim look at the bloody and complicated history of Nanjing.
- Nanjing City Wall – An ancient wall once protected the city and reveals the turbulent history of Nanjing.
- Ruins of the Ming Palace – Ruins of this once-great dynasty are one of the most popular attractions in Nanjing.
- Fuzi Miao – The Confucian temple offers a glimpse into the rich religious history of Nanjing.
Nanjing Art & Culture
- Sun Yatsen Mausoleum – This Nanjing monuments pays tribute to a man who is considered one of the founders of modern-day China.
- Presidential Palace of Nanjing – Most come to this attraction to see the beautiful architecture.
- Jiming Temple – This Nanjing temple offers an authentic look into the daily religious lives of the locals.
- Chaotian Gong of Nanjing – Some of the most unique antiques in Nanjing can be found here, making it popular among tourists.
- Yu Hua Tai – This historic neighbourhood is a great place to take a walk or see a traditional market while in Nanjing.
- Xinjiekou – This district of Nanjing features most of the department stores.
- Fuzimiao Market – Anything a person might want can be found in this Nanjing wholesale market.
- Hunan Lu – This beautiful Nanjing street features hundreds of small shops, clothing stores and restaurants.
- Culture Street – If you are looking for works of local art while in Nanjing, start here.
- Chaotiangong Antique Market – For all things ancient, come to this unique market.
Gay & Lesbian Nanjing
- Red Bar – One of the most popular venues among gays and lesbians in Nanjing.
- The Tequila Bar – This Nanjing bar features a mixed crowd of gays and lesbians.
- Kayumanis Nanjing Private Villa and Spa – This unique Nanjing hideaway is a great place for a romantic adventure.
- Ye Shan Ten – A Nanjing gay bar catering to an older, more sophisticated crowd.
- Zhong Tian – This cavernous gay bar is one of the most famous in all of Nanjing.
- Xuanwu Park – A great place for a relaxing stroll.
- Purple Mountain – Found on the edge of Nanjing, this oasis offers great views.
- Nanjing Lovers’ Garden – Located near the city centre of Nanjing, this garden is a popular place to take a date.
- Nanjing Underwater World – A great way to spend the day learning about the unique sea life of the Nanjing area.
- Zhanyuan Garden – The maze of small ponds in this garden make it a popular attraction.
- Hike to the hot springs of Tangshan Mountain in Nanjing.
- Take a swim in the beautiful waters of Mochou Lake.
- Trek to the top of Qi Xia Mountain near Nanjing.
- Hike around the beautiful Yanzi Mountain for killer views.
- Hire a bike and ride around the base of Longwang Mountain.
The Lantern Festival is a centuries-old tradition that lasts 10 days in January. We’re not just talking paper boxes here – some of the lanterns even have sound effects!
Celebrate the pretty blooms at the International Plum Blossom Festival in February and March.
The Crab Festival in October is marked with music, dance and mass consumption of crabs.
See something different at the Yuhuashi Pebble Art Festival in September. A relative baby in Nanjing terms, it has only been around since 1999.
Hit up the annual Hunan Food Festival in September/October for some of the best Nanjing has to offer. If you tend to reserve Chinese food for hangovers, try the Korean BBQ or burgers.
When To Go
- July and August are the hottest and muggiest months, with temperatures exceeding 33°C (92°F) and humidity hitting the 85 per cent mark.
- Nanjing sees plenty of rain throughout the year, with the most falling in March and July.
- Winters in the city are mild, hovering around 7°C (45°F)
Nanjing boasts the best public transport system in China, with buses, cabs and a metro.
Pick up a Transit Card and use it to ride on the metro as well as taxis and buses. You can also top it up at any time.
Nanjing is one of the biggest transportation hubs in China. From here you can access the rest of the country via land, water or air.
Assuring comfortable accommodation blended with quality service, this hotel makes you to enjoy all the privileges for an unforgettable stay. GeneralThis hotel offers well-equipped meeting rooms... More
Really nice room looking over the city
No. 137 Wangfu Street Map
GreenTree Inn Nanjing Wangfu Avenue Express Hotel is located at No.137 Wangfu Avenue Baixia District,nearby the first Chinese commercial circle--Xinjiekou.There are many dining and entertainment... More
Jin Jiang Nanjing Hotel is a charming and friendly hotel that offers unsurpassed service and comfortable accommodation to make your stay a memorable one. GeneralThe hotel also features 3 meeting... More
No. 224 Zhongyang Road, Xunwu District. Map
FREE Broadband Internet
The Orange Hotel Nanjing Xunwumen offers quality service and comfort accommodation, while guests are in Nanjing city. Breathtaking tourist places such as Sun Yatsen Mausoleum, Taiping Museum,... More
No. 288 South Zhongshan Road Map
Free Broadband Internet Access for all guests
Orange Hotel Xinjiekou Nanjing offers comfortable accommodation and friendly service for both business and leisure travellers. Major business buildings and shopping arcades are only few minutes... More
No.193 Zhongyang Road, Xuanwu Lake Map
Stay 2 Nights & Save 5%
Assuring comfortable accommodation blended with quality service, this hotel makes you to enjoy all the privileges for an unforgettable stay. GeneralConference facilities are also available at the... More
Shangri-La Hotel, Nanjing raises the standards of luxury with a new level of product and service based on the region's culture and history. Long renowned for Nanjing's history and culture, the... More
Hotel Ibis Nanjing Zhonghua invites business and leisure travellers to a modern base in the vibrant Nanjing city centre in Zhonghua. During sightseeing, tourists should not miss viewing cultural... More
Holiday trip in Nanjing
No 68 Huaihai Road Map
Includes 30% off, Food & Beverage dining voucher
Novotel Nanjing Central is located in the heart of Nanjing, convenient to all of its historical centers, commercial complexes and businesses. Enjoy your stay in one of our 297 beautifully appointed... More
The Westin Hotel Nanjing creates an ideal retreat for discerning travellers, through a seamless fusion of comfort, luxury and class fit for either a corporate trip or a vacation in Nanjing. Besides... More