Great place if you want basic, inexpensive accomodations
I went to Quebec for an 8-day stay and this place certainly served the purpose, The hotel lobby and restaurant have a very appealing ambiance with an Old World French flavor. The restaurant was a great place to get a convenient, great tasting
meal. It was the only place in Montreal that I found that accepted my Discover card, too. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to help. Top notch! The rooms, however, were extremely tiny and I wouldn't recommend them for more than one person; I had to move the bed when I moved around the room to make walking space. There is no dresser or closet, just a bed, a small shelf and the bathroom. The bedding smelled musty and old but was better after it was changed after the first night. I guess nothing can be done about the small size of the rooms since the building is 250 years old, but they are like a dorm room (but with a private bathroom).
So, in conclusion, if you need a basic, cheap place to stay to use a place to sleep and get clean and then explore the city, I can recommend this place. The staff is wonderful, The charm of the restaurant, lobby and exterior of the building are in contradiction to what you will find the rooms to be, but $40/night was a great price and I would stay here again if I were to travel alone to Montreal again.
Hotel features (5 = best, 1 = worst):
Short drive from hotel
Use Montreal's Metro (subway) system. It's cheap and gets you everywhere on the island. Some destinations require a cab (like the casino) but I was using the Metro exclusively by my 3rd day in Montreal. the Metro Champ de Mars station is 2 or 3 blocks from the hotel.
Review of Hotel Champ-de-Mars
Would not recommend
1 Jan 2013
This was by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Here are the top 10 reasons to never stay here again, from least important to most:
10) No towel rack in the bathroom. No place to hang towels, really?
9) Lobby featured the same single
Christmas song ion a loop. This is fine for 10 minutes but if you want your guests to hang out (which this hotel apparently does not)l, you have to vary the background sound.
8) Low water pressure ion the shower
7) Lumpy uncomfortable pillows
6) DVD did not work, which we were told. TV also did not work, which it should have. Repairs were attempted but not made.
5) The Front desk closed before 11PM. If you needed something after that, you were out of luck.
4) No room service. Maid/housekeeping knocked on our door in morning when we were still in bed. We told her to come back. SHE NEVER DID. Bed linens and towels were not changed. Linens had been soiled so this was disgusting.
3) There is no wifi in the rooms. There is supposed to be wifi down in the lobby (which was small). My laptop was unable to connect. They did not solve the problem nor allow us to use their computer.
(Local calls are not free. There are phone in the lobby but we were asked to use pay phones.)
2) The hotel is designed badly. The first floor is THREE STORIES UP (no walkup). We were on the third floor, so we had to walk up FIVE flights of stairs every single time. Not fun.
1) The hotel "lost" my reservation, which meant that they "had to" charge us a higher rate. Despite my credit card already being billed for the first reservation (which was later reversed).
BONUS: The hotel also tried to charge us a third time for the room.
Overall, lowest rating possible. Some things were unavoidable but the staff did little or nothing to improve the comfort level of our trip. It was awful and I woudl never stay at this place again. And the "lost" reservation that inconvenienced us and made us pay a higher rate? Unprofessional in the extreme. Stay far, far away the hotel Champ de Mars.