The famous song, “Girl from Ipanema,” was composed in this affluent neighbourhood in the “Zona Sul” (South Zone) of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The waterfront road is closed to motor traffic on Sundays. Locals and tourists alike break out their roller skates, bicycles, skateboards, and sandals to enjoy the many pedestrian pleasures of the “sexiest beach.” Besides bikinis, familiar sights include soccer games and vendors of beer, ice cream, and skewered shrimp. Surfers come for the nine-foot curls that literally “barrel” onto the Atlantic beach. Banda de Ipanema, their unique version of Carnival, draws crowds of 50,000 per year.
- Sip an acai juice drink or cachaca in the Toca do Vinícius bar whilst listening to the best bossa nova in Ipanema and all of Rio de Janeiro.
- Sink your teeth into a biscoitos globo (traditional Rio de Janeiro cookie) from an Ipanema beach vendor whilst strolling the sands with the beautiful people.
- Dive into a thrilling game of footvolley, an Ipanema invention that mixes football and volleyball.
Ipanema is easily accessible by public transport from Rio de Janeiro. Frescao buses on the Centro to Leblon weekday route are an air conditioned, comfortable option. Ipanema is served seven days a week by the Praça General Osorio Metro train station, which is well-known for its safety and cleanliness. Visitors may buy tickets or rechargeable cards at Metro stations. Surface trains run by SuperVia connect many points in the metropolitan area. Long stretches of beachfront bike paths are also available. Upcoming major events, such as the 2016 Olympics, are stimulating many enhancements to public transport.
- Rio De Janeiro hotels (83 hotels)
- Sao Paulo hotels (102 hotels)
- Niteroi hotels (2 hotels)
- Foz Do Iguacu hotels (25 hotels)
- Salvador hotels (30 hotels)
- Brasilia hotels (19 hotels)
- Belo Horizonte hotels (21 hotels)
- Praia do Forte hotels (2 hotels)
- Angra Dos Reis hotels (6 hotels)
- Recife hotels (6 hotels)
7 hotels in Ipanema
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema Hotel provides you all the modern facilities and conveniences that are needed for a wonderful and enjoyable vacation. GeneralThe BEST WESTERN PLUS Sol Ipanema... More
Facing, one of the most beautiful beaches of Rio, Praia Ipanema Hotel Rio De Janeiro offers visitors the comfort and convenience of home. One of the interesting place to visit is Amsterdam Sauer... More
A charming choice that you will feel at home at immediately, the Promenade Visconti offers you great location in the heart of Ipanema Beach, putting you near the famous Brazilian sun and surf, and... More
Av. Vieira Souto, 460 Map
Offering stylish accommodations in a beachfront location, Caesar Park Hotel Rio De Janeiro makes for an ideal base for travellers looking for a retreat in the vibrant Rio De Janeiro. Guests at this... More
Charming and tasteful, the Mar Ipanema Hotel Rio de Janeiro has only 86 rooms, making it easy for the helpful and multilingual staff to focus on your needs and desires. Ipanema Beach is a mere 100... More
The Adagio RJ Ipanema Aparthotel is located just meters from Copacabana and Ipanema beach, the perfect backdrop for a stroll, a bicycle ride or sunbathing. The area offers a large variety of... More