Aside from being a catchy tune by Barry Manilow, Copacabana is one of Rio de Janeiro’s most famous and beautiful locations. Found in the Zona Sul, which is the southern zone of Rio de Janeiro, Copacabana is mostly known for its majestic Balneario beach, which is undoubtedly one of the most famous beaches in the entire world. The area was named after the Virgin de Copacabana, which is ironic considering the area is now teeming with bikini-clad and sometimes-topless sunbathers. It is not only beaches in Copacabana, as the area is also home to many important historical sites.
- Walk to the north end of Copacabana Beach to see the historic Fort Copacabana, which was built in 1914 and once protected Rio de Janeiro from invaders.
- Check out the black and white pavement landscape of the Copacabana Promenade, which was designed by Roberto Burle Marx, who is one of the most famous landscape architects in Rio de Janeiro.
- Spend the day at Arpoador Beach, which is where Rio de Janeiro’s best surfers come to catch huge waves and which will be part of the Olympic Zones during the 2016 Olympics that will be held in the city.
Since Copacabana is serviced by more than forty different bus lines and also has three nearby Metro stations, visitors will have no problem reaching the area from just about anywhere in Rio de Janeiro. The area is also a hub for car travel, as there are three main arteries intersecting Copacabana, so it is easy to get around by hired motorcycle or car if people choose to avoid the buses and trains. Although the area is probably best explored on foot, some brave souls hire bicycles and ride them around the promenade.
- Rio De Janeiro hotels (85 hotels)
- Sao Paulo hotels (94 hotels)
- Niteroi hotels (2 hotels)
- Foz Do Iguacu hotels (28 hotels)
- Brasilia hotels (18 hotels)
- Salvador hotels (31 hotels)
- Belo Horizonte hotels (19 hotels)
- Praia do Forte hotels (2 hotels)
- Angra Dos Reis hotels (6 hotels)
- Nova Iguacu hotels (1 hotel)
33 hotels in Copacabana
The Copacabana Palace is the jewel of the Orient-Express collection in the southern hemisphere and is ideally suited for guests who are integrating work and leisure. GeneralThis property provides... More
Travellers in Rio de Janeiro find an idyllic retreat in Miramar Hotel By Windsor, offering sophisticated spaces and upscale amenities strategically set steps away from Copacabana Beach. From this... More
Featuring cosy spaces right on the shores of Copacabana Beach, Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel makes for an ideal holiday retreat for holidaymakers visiting the lively city of Rio de Janeiro.... More
Windsor Excelsior invites travellers to contemporary accommodations and amenities ideally located close to Copacabana. This convenient hotel is also set a few kilometres from major Rio de Janeiro... More
Windsor Copa offers deluxe accommodations and modern facilities set close to the golden sands of Copacabana Beach, ideal for a Rio de Janeiro vacation. From the hotel, tourists can venture to famed... More
Facing Copacabana Beach, the Rio Othon Palace offers its guests far more than a privileged view of one of the world's loveliest and most famous shorelines. GeneralGuests at Rio Othon Palace can... More
Windsor Martinique offers deluxe accommodations and modern amenities ideally set close to pristine beaches in Rio de Janeiro. From this contemporary hotel, travellers can easily walk to Fort... More
Featuring stylish accommodations and beachfront location, Windsor Atlantica creates an ideal holiday destination for travellers seeking to experience the bustling Rio de Janeiro. Apart from... More
Offering the finest accommodations and convenient facilities, the Golden Tulip Regente Rio De Janiero is an ideal place for both business and leisure travellers alike. GeneralBusiness travellers... More