Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas, offers a lot to see and do during your stay. Even though it is a resort area, you are not limited to beach lounging while you visit Nassau. The Bahamas Segway and Beach Experience is a fun way to tour the beaches at Nassau. A guide teaches guests how to use the off-road Segway scooters and then leads the group on a ride through a lovely isolated beach area. This is a perfect activity for older kids as well as adults. You can interact and swim with the dolphins at Blue Lagoon Islandvia the tour programs offered by Dolphin Encounters.Another option offered in this island paradise is the Sea Lion Encounter, where you are allowed to feed, pet and play with the sea lions.
If you want to pick up some duty-free items or souvenirs before you leave Nassau, you should stroll down Bay Streetone afternoon to pick up some tax-free liquor, perfume or jewellery. You’ll want to look your best while sporting your new finery, so stop by The Dermal Clinic for a refreshing facial or other beauty treatments.
Nassau’s Top 10
10. Cable Beach is a popular beach for tourists in Nassau due to its crystal-clear waters and calm atmosphere. Several companies around this beach offer parasailing excursions and snorkel cruises.
5. Atlantis Aquarium is a large aquarium with thousands of species of fish and other aquatic creatures. You can wander the exhibits at your leisure or take a guided tour.
9. Fort Charlotte is a fascinating landmark built in the late 1700s. Under the fort are eerie secret passages and a dungeon. It is a great attraction for anyone with macabre tastes.
4. Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Centre features tropical gardens and jungles containing hundreds of species of birds, mammals and reptiles in one 5-acre park. It is also home to several endangered species.
8. Parliament Square is home to most of the government buildings in Nassau, including the infamous pink Parliament House.
3. If you want to see a sweeping view of Nassau, you should head up to the top of Fort Fincastle, a 38-meter-tall historical structure near the Queen's Staircase and other historical attractions.
7. Christ Church Cathedral is an important historical landmark in Nassau and a lovely example of Gothic architecture from the mid-1800s.
2. Pirates of Nassau Museum is a cheap and fun way to spend a few hours in Nassau. This small museum features exhibits of actual pirate artefacts as well as educational displays about the real ‘pirates of the Caribbean’.
6. Crystal Palace Casino is not like those you would find in Vegas, but it offers a range of games.
1. National Art Gallery of the Bahamas offers revolving contemporary art exhibits inside a historical home that once belonged to British colonists.
- Queens Staircase - Built by slaves to honour Queen Victoria for having abolished slavery.
- Pompey Museum - The museum named after the slave Pompey gives a historical and cultural insight into Bahamas.
- Pirates of Nassau Museum - The best pirate museum in the world nestled in three historical buildings.
- Parliament Square - Most of the government’s buildings in Nassau are located here with the statue of Queen Victoria in the centre.
- Government House - This imposing colonial structure in pink colour houses the Queen’s representative to Bahamas.
Nassau Art & Culture
- Bahamas Segway and Beach experience - It is the unique opportunity to have fun and relax while seeing the city, beach and 30-minute scenic bus tour.
- Blue Lagoon Island - Very exciting and intriguing beach experience along with dolphin encounters.
- Atlantis Aquarium - This is a must-visit aquarium with underground tunnels while on a shore excursion.
- Christ Church Cathedral - This historical cathedral is also the most magnificent in Nassau.
- Junkanoo Expo - This small museum showcases costumes and traditional instruments of the Junkanoo parade.
- Bay Street - This is the busiest street in Nassau with a large number of shops and restaurants.
- Foodstore2Go.com - A convenient online grocery store that delivers direct to your timeshare.
- Sea Grape & Plait Lady - These two shops specialise in Bahamas-made items like Androsia Batik fabric, baskets and other straw work.
- Bacardi Store - You can buy local drinks and all other kinds of Bacardi related things including T-shirts and hats.
- Straw Market - You can buy almost any local art and craft products including ceramics, spices, crafts and unique foods.
Gay & Lesbian Nassau
- Trudy - Great bar for gay and lesbians that opens at 11 pm and is busy all weekend.
- Bambu - Located opposite the Parliament Street goes gay on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Forbidden - A club near the airport is great for gay and lesbians.
- Sandal Resort - Moderately tolerates same-sex couple.
- Endangered Species - This is among the few clubs that cater to gays despite government restrictions on open gayness.
- Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Centre - This more than five-acre park is an amazing wildlife park with a variety of birds, mammals and reptiles.
- Arawak Cay - This place near a beach offers an excellent variety of local cuisine.
- Power Boat Adventures - You will love the cruise experience to the private island meeting iguanas along the way.
- Sandy Toes - Enjoy the beach experience with picture-perfect scenic views and great food.
- Nassau Botanical Gardens - Relax as you walk through the garden with a large variety of plants
- Get a Nassau Hiking and Outdoor Club membership to enjoy hiking, camping, cycling and horse riding, among several more activities.
- Have fun with private boat tours.
- Watch or play the game of tennis at Queen Elizabeth Sports Centre.
- Take a ride in a high-speed ferry from Nassau to Harbour Island.
- If you love golf, head to the Cable Beach Golf Club.
The International Dog Show and Obedience Trials take place in Nassau in March, showcasing the beauty and dexterity of champion canines from all over the globe.
Annual Valentine Massacre Regatta takes place inFebruary in Nassau and features boat races, parties and many other fun activities around the island.
The Police Band Christmas and Classic Concert is a spectacular Nassau event that takes place in December. The renowned Royal Bahamas Police Force Band plays holiday favourites and classical ensembles during their performance.
Bahamas Atlantis Superboat Challenge is a major international speedboat race held in Nassau each September. Participants from all over the world show up to compete, and after the race there are a lot of parties and celebrations to attend.
Nassauholds its annual Beer Festival during April at the Old Town Mall. Guests can enjoy sampling a variety of local and international brews during this festival
Independence Day for Nassau and the rest of the Bahamas is 10 July, since this is the day the Bahamas won independence from Great Britain in 1964. This holiday brings parades, fireworks and revelry.
The Nassau Pineapple Festival in June features parades, pineapple farm tours, recipe competitions, dancing and plenty of food and craft vendors.
Bahamas Heritage Festival takes place in late April or early May each year. The people of Nassau celebrate their history and culture through music and storytelling. It is also a perfect time to sample some delicious local seafood dishes.
Nassau hosts the Bahamas International Film Festival in December, drawing major Hollywood celebrities and prestigious filmmakers from all over the world.
Junkanoo is Nassau's largest cultural festival, and it takes place on New Year’s Day. The celebration includes traditional Bahamian music and dance performances and a parade of elaborately costumed participants.
When to Go
Nassau is a warm tropical area, which makes it a perfect for vacations any time of year. Summertime is hot, and even the winter months are quite warm.
The high temperatures during summer summer are in the upper 80s to low 90s (31-33°C), and fall and winter months typically bring highs in the upper 70s (21-23°C).
Nassau sees more rain in the winter months than any other time of year with an average of 2-3 inches (5-7 cm) per month during this season. During the rest of the year, there is an inch (2-3 cm) or less per month.
Lynden Pindling International Airport in Nassau handles flights from most US carriers as well as a few flights to London and Toronto.
Many people arrive at Nassau via one of the many cruise ships in the Bahamas. This capital city is a stop on many cruise itineraries.
To get around in Nassau you can use taxis, minibuses, or water taxis, or you can rent a car.
22 hotels in Nassau
Providing all the sun and fun of the real Bahamas, Melia Nassau Beach Resort is the ideal destination for singles, families, and couples alike, especially romantic couples seeking the perfect... More
Ideal for a refreshing break, Red Carpet Inn Select is a great choice when it comes to pleasing hospitality and comfortable accommodation as well as a great location in the exciting city of Nassau.... More
Welcome to the romantic privacy of BEST WESTERN PLUS Bay View Suites Paradise Island Hotel, where couples, families and friends can enjoy vacationing together, only minutes away from all the... More
Welcome to Orange Hill Beach Inn Nassau, your Bahamas hotel destination with the charm of the family islands and all the conveniences of home. General Along with the honour bar, a favourite among... More
Surrounded by beautiful beaches in The Bahamas, Paradise Harbor Club & Marina Nassau Resort is an idyllic paradise featuring various rooms, suites and apartments in a tropical island setting in... More
With contemporary accommodations set in the white sands of Cable Beach, Breezes Resort Bahamas All Inclusive makes for a convenient base for visitors in this part of Bahamas. Aside from enjoying... More
With modern spaces set on the white sands of Cable Beach, Melia Nassau Beach Resort - All Inclusive makes for an ideal base for tourists on a Nassau getaway. Guests at this beachfront resort can... More
A Stone's Throw Away Nassau provides quality service and excellent accommodation for travellers visiting Nassau. This property has Blue Lagoon Island, Powerboat Adventures, Balcony House and Sail... More
With cosy accommodations set in a convenient location close to top tourist destinations, Comfort Suites Paradise Island makes for a suitable base for discerning holidaymakers exploring Paradise... More