Mariahilf is a small district in central Vienna, sandwiched between the museum district around Maria-Theresien Platz and the university campuses around the Botanical Gardens. With the presence of the Academy of Fine Arts, Mariahilf boasts a certain artsy air, and has an impressive collection of cafes, galleries, art shops, and design boutiques. Visitors will marvel at the fine architecture of the district’s churches and theatres, which are just minutes from shopping and fine dining. The art deco exterior of the Apollo Movie Theatre is a popular site, as is the memorial for Joseph Haydn.
- Naschmarkt: Explore Vienna’s largest market – Maraihilf’s famous Naschmarkt, which is renowned for its selection of produce, spices and goods from the Far East, the Middle East, and South-Eastern Europe.
- Haus des Meeres: Discover incredible marine creatures in the heart of Vienna at this non-profit aquarium, which was constructed in a flak tower from the Second World War.
- Theater an der Wien: Admire the architecture of this 19th-century Viennese theatre, adorned by statues and stained glass, and celebrated for performances of works by Debussy, Haydn, and Stravinsky.
The district of Mariahilf is located to the southwest of Vienna’s core, stretching between Getreidemarkt and Linke Weinzeile. There are U-Bahn stations located in a ring around the entire district, making it easy to get to from most other regions in the city. Subway line U4 makes stops along the southern edge of Mariahilf at Kettenbruckengasse, Pilgramgasse, and Margaretengurtel. Subway line U3 passes along the northern edge of Mariahilf, stopping at Neubaugasse, Zieglergasse, and Westbahnhof. Bus route 57A goes through the heart of the district, including a stop outside of the aquarium.
What travelers to Mariahilf are saying
Discerning business and leisure travellers looking to explore the capital city of Austria, find ideal starting point in the centrally located accommodations of Leonardo Hotel Vienna. This Vienna... More
Great few days away
Hotel Fuerst Metternich Vienna invites tourists to modern accommodations housed in a traditional Art Nouveau building close to the heart of historic Vienna. This boutique hotel in the Austria... More
With a strategic city centre setting close to top tourist spots, Hotel Lucia Vienna makes for an ideal starting point for holidaymakers looking to explore this vibrant Austria capital. Tourists at... More
Created to let the guest enjoy their days in a refined atmosphere, the Renaissance Wien Hotel is the perfect backdrop for an enjoyable as well as memorable vacation. GeneralThe perfectly appointed... More
Austria Trend Hotel Anatol Wien offering a traditional Viennese hospitality and personalized service, this property is an ideal place to reside for both business as well as leisure travellers. ... More
No-frills, great-value hotel close to Wien Westbahnhof
Das President Hotel Vienna is an ideal base in the Austrian capital when conducting business or visiting on holiday. The musical delights of the famous Raimund Theatre are just across the street.... More
Combining the old Viennese ambience with modern comfort of the highest quality under one roof, the Altwienerhof Hotel Vienna is a perfect setting for a wonderful holiday. GeneralThis property also... More
Refine your search
- Margareten hotels
- Majolikahaus hotels
- Mariahilferstrasse hotels
- Theater an der Wien hotels
- Leopold Museum hotels
- MUMOK hotels
- Secession hotels
- Kunsthistorisches Museum hotels
- Maria Theresien Platz hotels
- Natural History Museum hotels
- Ringstrasse hotels
- Burggarten hotels