Known primarily as a winter sports haven and Olympic host city, Innsbruck is the phenomenal capital of Tyrol, Austria. Synonymous with alpine ski slopes and Winter Olympics glory, the city was a two time host of the Games, in 1964 and again in 1976. Despite a famous, inseparable link with winter sports, Innsbruck has enough inherent charm to entice visitors throughout the year.
With a superb location in the Alps, Innsbruck has a beautiful cityscape replete with heritage architecture. Home to more than 115,000 people, the city offers a dynamic and vast array of options for visitors to Austria. Principal points of interest include the Golden Roof, a major landmark built in 1500 and veritable symbol of the city. The Schloss Ambras, or Ambras Castle, is a brilliant piece of architecture and former home of Ferdinand II. A prolific art collector, the 16th century Archduke left a treasure trove of works for visitors to enjoy today.
- The Golden Roof - Built by Maxmillian I so he could enjoy the view of the Alps, there are of hundreds of small gold tiles on the balcony roof.
- Court Church of Innsbruck - Completed in 1587, this church houses the tomb of Maxmillian I that is located in the centre.
- Glockengiesserei Grassmayr - This museum of bell making is more than 400 years old and began as a working foundry.
- St Anna’s Column - This is the commemoration of the withdrawal of Bavarian troops in 1703.
- Tirol Panorama - Have a history lesson of the Tirol, separated into areas of interest, such as religion, wars, architecture and more.
Innsbruck Art & Culture
- Tyrolean Evenings with the Gundolf Family - Listen to the music of the Tyrolean Alps daily from April through October.
- Tyrolean Folk Art Museum - Enjoy looking at everything from artwork to ancient weapons and then have a picnic outside.
- Cathedral of St James - This stunning cathedral was built in Innsbruck in the 18th century in the Baroque style.
- Tiroler Landestheater - Offers a wide range of live performance throughout the year.
- Volkskunst Museum - This art museum is devoted to the folk art of the Tyrolean Alps, including sleighs and furniture.
- Markthalle - You can find delicacies from all over the world at this market, as well as local foods.
- Kaufhaus Tyrol - While this little mall is all inside, the architecture makes you feel like you’re in an open-air market.
- Christmas and Easter in Innsbruck - This specialty shop features gifts and decorations for Christmas and Easter.
- Swarovski Crystal Gallery - You’ll be awestruck at the beauty of all the different crystals and the imaginative ways they are used.
- Rathaus Galerian - This glass-topped mall is full of boutiques, shops and cafes, a really lovely place to shop.
Gay & Lesbian Innsbruck
- Hotel Tyrolis - A gay-friendly hotel in Innsbruck.
- Bacchus Bar - This gay bar is also a coffee shop.
- Le Boy - This gay bar is for men only.
- Dom Café - A mixed bar but very gay friendly.
- Gasthoff Ölberg - This gay-friendly hotel boasts the best views of Innsbruck.
- Alpenzoo - Children and adults will enjoy exploring this small zoo built into the side of a hill in Innsbruck.
- Alpenpark Karwendel - This lovely park is the place to go to enjoy hiking and taking in the natural beauty of the area.
- Alpengarten Patscherkofel - Wander the mountain and enjoy the food.
- Inntour - For a different type of outdoor experience, try white-water rafting or bungee jumping.
- Stadtturm - For the healthy, climb 148 steps and you’ll be able to look down onto the town.
- Ski at the Patscherkofelbahnen, a prior venue for the Winter Olympics.
- Try bobsledding in the Olympia Bobbahn.
- Hike or mountain bike in the Alps.
- See winter athletes train or compete at the Bergisal Schanz stadium.
- Watch racing at the Innsbruck Eurokart Motorsport.
Innsbruck is located in the Inn Valley in western Austria, approximately 482 km (300 miles) from Vienna. Overlooked by the high mountains of the Alps, it is a world-renowned winter sports destination (having twice hosted the Winter Olympics) and famous for its spectacular scenery.
- Casino Innsbruck
- Alte Innbrücke (Inn Bridge)
- Altes Landhaus (Old Federal State Parliament)
- Experience the thrills of the bobsled on the Olympia Bobbahn
- Climb to the top of the ski jump tower and marvel at the stunning Innsbruck views
- Visit the Goldenes Dachl (Golden Roof), built in 1500 and decorated with 2,657 fire-gilded copper tiles
- Chez Nico
Innsbruck has a continental climate; spring days start to get warm, but nights remain cool or even freezing. Summer can be cool at 17°C (63°F) and rainy, or sunny and extremely hot. Winters are snowy and colder than those of most major European cities, but since skiing is a major tourist attraction, winters are possibly the most popular time for visiting.
Getting There & Around
Innsbruck Airport is 3 miles west of the city, with regular service from all over Europe. The Hauptbahnhof railway station is one of the most important in Austria, connecting southern Germany to northern Italy.
In town, the Innsbrucker Verkehrsbetriebe (IVB) provides buses and trams. The Hungerburgbahn is a funicular service that travels across the river and up the slopes, creating a spectacular short journey.
- Couch Club
- Prometheus Keller
More Info On Climate
Innsbruck has a hemiboreal climate, with cold, snowy winters and warm summers.
- Winter (December to February) -7-4°C
- Spring (March to May) -1-21°C
- Summer (June to September) 9-26°C
- Fall (October to November) 0-14°C
Innsbruck On Wikipedia
23 hotels in Innsbruck, AT
Offering a host of amenities, Goldene Krone Hotel Innsbruck is a perfect venue for a pleasant as well as relaxing stay. GeneralDuring leisure, you can explore the city and its beautiful... More
Having central position close to many commercial and heritage attractions and surrounded by the lush countryside, Austria Trend Hotel Congress Innsbruck makes for a suitable base for travellers... More
Offering a favourable location and relaxing atmosphere, this attractive property is the right choice of accommodation, while visiting Innsbruck. GeneralGuests travelling on business purpose can... More
Boasting richly designed accommodations and state-of-the-art facilities set in a central location, Grand Hotel Europa Innsbruck makes for a lavish retreat in downtown Innsbruck. While on holiday,... More
To enjoy luxury, value and comfort in a tranquil setting, the BEST WESTERN Hotel Mondschein Innsbruck is the perfect choice for a relaxing vacation. GeneralThis fashionable property offers... More
Offering comfortable accommodation and convenient facilities, the BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Goldener Adler Innsbruck provides you with all of the quality amenities to make your stay a memorable one. ... More
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Leipziger Hof Innsbruck is located in the heart of Innsbruck, opposite to the city park and is within 1 kilometre from Congress Center. The hotel offers modern accommodation... More
Combining special comfort with a fresh modern style, this property prides itself as an ideal location for business and leisure travellers. GeneralFor your special or business events, this property... More
Zillertal Hotel Innsbruck with its modern amenities and comforts is ideally suited for both family vacations and business trips. Set amidst the mountains of the Alpine City Innsbruck, this hotel... More