There is no shortage of turquoise waters and outstanding natural landscapes in the WA seaside town of Busselton. Still retaining a lot of its settler history, even a daytrip to Busselton from Perth can leave you feeling refreshed and just a little charmed.
Busselton Pier is the longest wooden pier in the Southern Hemisphere. While you’re on it, take a gander out to the horizon and contemplate the concept of eternity (heavy, man) before visiting Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse. Then enjoy an afternoon picnic on the calming shores of the Yass Riverwith your beloved – or, at the very least, a beloved piece of brie.And of all the sunsets you’re ever likely to see, we’re betting watching the ol’ yellow ball in the sky go to sleep over stunning Geographe Baywill take some beating…
BUSSELTON’S TOP 10
10. Happs and Three Hills Winery Pick up some preservative-free plonk at one of the finest wineries in the Margaret River region.
5. Ludlow Taurt Forest You will feel all kinds of insignificant standing next to the 300-year-old giant tuarts.
9. Wonnerup House Step back in time and check out some true-blue local history at this 100-year-old settlement.
4. Ballarat Engine The oldest steam engine in WA is still kicking (as a display – don’t get too excited!) and is a great slice of Aussie history, particularly of the timber industry.
8. Metricup Bird Park You’d be a galah if you didn’t drop into this fantastic bird park just south of town.
3. Busselton Museum Housed in an old butter factory, this collection is both quaint and curious.
7. Heritage Trail For a brush up on your local history, look no further. This trail and park has oodles of info dotted here and there.
2. ArtGeo Cultural Complex Once the courthouse (you can still see the crumbling cells) and now a contemporary art gallery.
6. St Mary’s Anglican Church The oldest stone church in WA, St Mary’s has a small but quite beautiful graveyard featuring headstones of some of the original settlers.
1. Underwater Observatory Like a fishbowl in reverse. Take a peek through the looking glass out to the brilliance of the Busselton undersea.
For the most laid-back music festival in southwest Oz, party on down to the Southbound Festival each January.
Kick back on the coast with a stubby or two as you watch the Geographe Bay Yacht Race float on by in February.
For a corker of a combo, the CinefestOZ Film Festival brings together the best of Aussie and French film every August.
See one of Australia’s annual natural wonders at September’s Busselton Wildflower Exhibition.
Realise how unfit you are by watching the participants at the Ironman Western Australia Triathlon in December.
WHEN TO GO
• Much like the rest of WA, you are looking at sunshine all year round.
• If you’re after long hot days with cooling sea breezes, head to Busselton in summer.
• June is when you will cop the most rain, but the temps are usually still quite mild for winter.
Visit our partner page Busselton hotels by Hotel.com.au
• There is an excellent and expansive bus service running through Busselton.
• There is plenty of parking around the joint, so for a daytrip or the weekend, the best way to explore Busselton is to drive.
A near-perfect Mediterranean climate, exquisite coastline and laid-back vibe combine to make Busselton a perennial tourist favorite in vast Western Australia. Within the South West corner of the enormous state, the small coastal town benefits from fortuitous geography on lovely Geographe Bay. As a rest stop on the way to Cape Naturaliste or Margaret River, Busselton is sublime.
With barely 20,000 people, the town offers relative seclusion and tranquility, even at peak tourist time. Quaint reminders of the past in Busselton include the Courthouse Arts Centre, Newtown House, Wonnerup House and Busselton Historic Museum. The 2 km-long Busselton Jetty is by far the most prominent landmark in the area and ends with a wonderful underwater observatory where visitors can admire colorful marine life. No trip to Busselton is complete however, without a tour of Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park. Spectacular cave systems and eucalyptus forests make the park more than worthwhile.
Busselton enjoys a Mediterranean climate, with moderate weather throughout the year.
- Summer (November to February) 12-29°C
- Fall (March to May) 11-27°C
- Winter (June to August) 8-18°C
- Spring (September to October) 9-21°C
Comfort Inn Busselton River Resort provides quality accommodation and friendly services for travellers in Busselton close to city attractions such as Margaret River Chocolate Company and Cheese... More
Buisnaee in Busso
Having excellent facilities, friendly staff and beautiful location, the Amalfi Beach Resort Busselton is the perfect place to base yourself while exploring all that the South West region of Western... More
555 Bussell Highway Map
Winter Special - Free Continental Breakfast
The Bayview Geographe Resort Busselton invites you to experience its indescribable natural beauty that makes it a destination in itself. General Fully equipped with the latest state-of-the-art... More
Great spot right on the Beach
Grand Mercure Busselton Accor Vacation Club Apartments is your gateway to the amazing Margaret River wine region, featuring not only wineries but also restaurants, art galleries and stunning... More
Great Amenities and helpful staff
Featuring chic comfortable accommodations and beachfront location, Abbey Beach Resort Busselton makes for an ideal vacation retreat while in this part of Western Australia. This Busselton resort is... More
Aqua Resort Busselton delivers attractive luxury beach houses in the secluded privacy of the seaside town of Busselton. Vacationers have the freedom to easily explore the Margaret River Wine Region... More
Boasting comfortable accommodation and quality services, the Martin Fields Beach Retreat Busselton Hotel promises you for a wonderful vacation in its friendly and hospitable environment. General... More
Providing luxurious accommodation, friendly service and contemporary decor, this property is a perfect choice for holidaymakers and business travellers alike. GeneralThis property provides... More