Chuck on your thongs, stuff your wetsuit in a duffle-bag and cruise down the Great Ocean Road to Torquay in Victoria.
Known as the birthplace of Rip Curland Quicksilver,this is a surfing town from the tip of its custom roof-racks to the sand between its toes. The laid-back atmosphere and love of the ocean pervades every part of life in Torquay, and a visit is sure to leave you wistful for beach living. With swells that make you weak at the knees and locals who simply look great in a pair of boardies, Torquay is a beautiful stop, especially if you’re driving with mates around the coast. Pack your esky and your fishing rods and don’t look back.
TORQUAY’S TOP 10
10. Jan Juc This beach is known for its wild waves, so only good swimmers should bother.
5. Point Impossible Beach There are two breaks – one for beginners and one for experts. Nature’s very own training wheels.
9. Point Danger Marine Sanctuary Snorkel around this point to see the area’s underwater life.
4. Surf City Plaza It’s not just a shopping centre, but a mall completely devoted to your surfing needs!
8. Esplanade This stretch is the main part of town for shopping, dining and getting to know the locals.
3. Surf Coast Walk Take a stroll under the cliffs to get the best views of the coastline.
7. Taylors Park If you’re into wildlife, there are some great trails here, as well as a yabby pool.
2. Surf World Surfing Museum Torquay Are you ready to join the Australian Surfing Hall of Fame?
6. Lions Park A beautiful spot for a barbie or picnic. Get there early to snag the rotunda.
1. Bells Beach The most famous pure surfing beach in the land. Radical, dudes!
Australia Day offers a great excuse for picnics, beers, barbies and beach cricket. Plus you can watch the locals compete in the Australia Day Thong Challenge,which involves cruising up stream on a giant inflatable thong!
Each Easter, Torquay plays host to Australia’s most famous surfing comp, the Rip Curl Pro, as part of the World Championship Tour.
High Tide Festival is unique to this area and sees street parades, live music, performances, exhibitions and workshops.
WHEN TO GO
- Torquay is nice and sunny all year round, but winter can be decidedly chilly.
- December, January and February can get hot, so slip, slop and slap if heading to the beach.
- Spring and autumn are mild and sit around the yearly average of 25°C (77°F).
- You’ll struggle to drive the Great Ocean Road without a car!
- Once you’re in the town, walking will take you from beach to beach. There are also nice trails and tracks to explore.
- There is a bus service, which is handy for getting from one side of town to the other.
With magnificent beachfront views, high standards of comfort and a friendly atmosphere, this Wyndham Resort Torquay is an ideal place to reside for both business as well as leisure travellers. ... More
Mercure Hotel Geelong offers a wide range of business and leisure facilities, combined with attentive and professional staff, to ensure your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. ... More
Whether in this part of Victoria for business or leisure, travellers find ideal base in the deluxe accommodations and waterfront location of Four Points By Sheraton Geelong. This sophisticated... More
Geelong Riverview Tourist Park provides quality service and modern accommodation for the guests' convenience. The places of interest in Geelong are Geelong's Waterfront, Old Geelong Gaol and... More
Relaxing time in geelong !
The Aberdeen Motor Inn is one of the most conveniently located motor-inns in Geelong. Just a short walk to the centre of town or to the re-newed waterfront district with it's fabulous restaurants... More
Cheap clean but a little old
Being an ideal place in the city of Geelong, Best Western Admiralty Inn Geelong offers a warm welcome, pleasant ambience and convenient facilities to make your stay a memorable one. General The... More
If you are planning for a particular holiday at Geelong, then Comfort Inn Eastern Sands City Centre Geelong is the perfect place for you to reside. GeneralAmple parking space is also available... More
This property provides you all the modern facilities and conveniences that are needed for a wonderful and enjoyable vacation. GeneralAmple parking space is also available for guests with their own... More
30 Keera Street Map
Featuring comfortable accommodation and friendly service, this hotel welcomes you for an unforgettable holiday in Geelong. GeneralDuring leisure, you can have a bracing dip in the swimming pool or... More
Average family accomodation