Kangaroo Island hotels
Captivating Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island is one of those places that just makes you glad it exists. Known as KI to the locals, it lies 112km southwest of Adelaide and is pretty much untouched. Its towns aren’t intrusive or rudely bright – instead seeming like extensions of the island, a natural habitat for the wildlife.
And when it comes to that wildlife, Kangaroo Island has plenty of it. There are kangaroos (funnily enough), plus koalas, emus and wild turkeys – many of which you can enjoy in the wild… or on your plate. The freshest seafood, kangaroo steaks and native jams are part of an ever-revolving lazy Susan of culinary options. If you want a nice drop of wine while looking over the ocean and patting a kangaroo, it probably won’t happen – but hey, all the elements are there on Kangaroo Island for you to give it a go.
KANGAROO ISLAND’S TOP 10
10. Dudley Cellar Door A beautiful cellar door operation that creates award-winning wine and amazing food.
5. Seal Bay Conservation Park Watching a seal in its natural environment reveals some of the most graceful moves on the planet.
9. Parndana Wildlife Park The wallaby enclosure cares for orphaned baby wallabies until they are strong enough to fend for themselves. Cute!
4. Kangaroo Island Outdoor Action If you’re ready to dive headfirst down a sand dune on a boogie board, this company does its best to get your adrenaline pumping.
8. Cape Willoughby Lighthouse South Australia’s first lighthouse, built to mark stormy and savage passage between Kangaroo Island and the mainland.
3. Flinders Chase National Park Magnificent and expansive wilderness allows you to view the scale of local flora and fauna.
7. Kangaroo Island Penguin Centre Just watching these little black and white waddlers is an activity in itself.
2. Clifford’s Honey Farm Proving that you can improve perfection, Clifford’s is most famous for its chocolate-covered honeycomb.
6. Paul’s Place Wildlife Sanctuary Get up close and a little too personal with a host of native animals from kangaroos to peacocks.
1. Reeves Point The first SA settlement, the lookout provides equal views of the ocean and the island.
KANGAROO ISLAND EVENTS
KI comes to life in February for the Coopers Kangaroo Island Cup Carnival, when the glitzy and glamorous of the racing world call it home for the weekend.
The best of the island’s culinary and artistic expression is showcased every October at the Kangaroo Island Art Feast.
The world’s best surfers converge on KI for November’s Kangaroo Island Pro. This means their groupies and entourages follow, making the event and the ensuing madness endlessly entertaining.
Still in its infancy, the Kangaroo Island Music Festival is aiming to bring the best of international surf and acoustic music to the island each November.
WHEN TO VISIT
• November to March is the peak tourist season, with summer temperatures averaging about 24°C (75°F).
• July and August are nippier, but the weather shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the beautiful crisp air.
• Autumn sees the island at its best as the trees change colour.
- Kangaroo Island can be reached by ferry or air from Adelaide. If doing the former, you’ll probably have your own car with you. If doing the latter you’ll probably need to hire one to see everything KI has to offer.
- Tour buses aren’t just the cheap way out for foreign tourists. More and more Aussies are settling back in these fully air-conditioned chariots cruising from attraction to attraction.
Corporate travellers and holidaymakers looking for a stylish oceanfront retreat set in an idyllic location find suitable base at Mercure Kangaroo Island. From this plush American River property,... More
Ficifolia Lodge Kangaroo Island is a modern lodge nestled in the city centre of Kangaroo Island. Combining refinement and elegance this property invites travellers for an enjoyable stay. Shopping... More
Great centre for enjoying Kangaroo Island
Birubi Holiday House & Apartments invites vacationers on an extended getaway to deluxe self-catering accommodations in Kangaroo Island. This luxury property complex is situated in a tranquil... More
Birubi - Mixed parts!
Vacationers seeking for a long- or short-term holiday in a beachfront location find suitable haven at the self-contained units of Koopalanda Dreaming Accommodation. Aside from having a fun time at... More
A Kangaroo Island holiday with accommodation at the Aurora Ozone Hotel Kangaroo Island is an experience you will long recall with pleasure. GeneralWhether you are planning a wedding, family... More
Featuring well-appointed and comfortable accommodations with scenic views of the mainland, Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island makes for an idyllic base for travellers in this part of Kangaroo... More
Enjoy a relaxing vacation along the white sand shores of Emu Bay and find suitable base at the self-appointed lodgings of Searenity Holiday Accommodation. Holidaymakers at this posh Kangaroo Island... More
Featuring a contemporary two-bedroom vacation house conveniently positioned in on the sandy coast of Emu Bay, A Dune Escape makes for an idyllic retreat for travellers exploring this side of... More
Nestled atop the 250 acre seafront estate in the north eastern shores of Kangaroo Island, Sea Dragon Lodge makes for an ideal haven for vacationers seeking for a tranquil getaway in this side of... More
49 North Terrace Map
10% Discount on Pre-Booked Sealink Ferry Bookings
Holidaymakers looking for an idyllic hideaway amid beautiful surroundings can stay at the comfortably appointed accommodations of Kangaroo Island Seafront Resort in Penneshaw. From the resort,... More