Bundy is a place that sucks in backpackers with the siren song of fruit picking and rum, and never seems to release them from its grip. This small country town is so quintessentially Aussie that it can feel like walking onto the set of Crocodile Dundee, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty for Australian travellers to enjoy.
Picnic by the river at Riverside Parklands, get to know the locals at the night marketsand take a tour of the famous Bundy Rumdistillery, whereyou can even meet the cheeky Bundy Bear. Whoever’s inside that suit must sweat buckets in the sweltering North Queensland climate! And whether or not we’re talking through rum goggles, it has to be said that with the turquoise water and lush sugarcane fields, Bundaberg is… well, beautiful.
BUNDABERG’S TOP 10
10. Riverside Parklands BBQs and picnics are a must at this spacious stretch of green by the river.
5. School of Arts Building The oldest building in Bundy. Pay your respects to your elders…
9. Bourbong Street Take a stroll down the main street (which really does have a superfluous ‘g’ in its name) to check out the nicest old buildings in town.
4. Hinkler House Museum Set in the home of Bundy’s favourite son, it was brought out from England!
8. Botanic Gardens Native and imported trees, shrubs and a few small lakes to dip your toes in. Perfect for a relaxing day.
3. Fairymead House Sugar Museum Documents the history of the sugar industry in a lovely 1890s setting.
7. Baldwin Swamp This wetland has 87 hectares to explore, so take it slow.
2. Alexandra Park and Zoo Picnic among kangaroos, parrots and lizards.
6. Bundaberg and District Historical Museum Check out the awesome wedding albums showing every bride from the area since 1974!
1. Bundaberg Arts Centre This gallery displays local works as well as travelling exhibitions.
New Year’s Day is a big celebration in Bundy. There’s thong-throwing championships as well as the traditional BBQs and celebrations of a day off work.
August gets the city into shape with the annual Cane to Coral Fun Run.Thousands of participants take part to raise money for skin cancer research.
Also in August is the Moore Park Beach Festival of Arts. Galleries, shows and ceremonies pop up all over town.
November brings the Wide Bay Australia Bundy Thunder Power Boat Spectacular to our attention. The fastest boats in the country compete across two high-octane days.
December’s New Orleans Bourbon Street Festival brings the ‘Big Easy’ to Bundy.
WHEN TO GO
- Not surprisingly for North Queensland, the temperatures are warm all year round.
- January is the hottest month, with averages of around 30°C (86°F).
- Winter barely exists in Bundy. Chances are, the mercury will never dip below 10°C (50°F).
· A couple of public bus routes run between Bargara and Bundaberg every hour or so.
· If you want to get anywhere outside the city, you’ll need a car or a motorbike.
· Walking is the best way to see the town itself.
Explore Bundaberg by location
See other Bundaberg hotels
Cities in Australia
16 hotels in Bundaberg
Best Western Boulevard Lodge Bundaberg Hotel Bundaberg is located in a quiet off-highway area, adjacent to a multiplex cinema, sporting club, tavern and Bundaberg`s largest shopping centre. It is... More
Park Lane Motel Bundaberg offers comfortable accommodation in a friendly atmosphere for all travellers. Guests can visit points of interests such as Hinkler House and Museum, Schmeiders Cooperage,... More
Offering quality accommodation, the Comfort Inn Bert Hinkler Bundaberg is an ideal location to visit the best of Bundaberg's attractions. GeneralComfort Inn Bert Hinkler Bundaberg features... More
Alexandras on Talkavan offers you a comfortable and quality holiday apartments that contains everything that you want to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible. GeneralAfter a long busy day,... More
The BEST WESTERN Bundaberg City Motor Inn invites you to be its guest and sample its friendly hospitality, quality and comfortable accommodation to make your stay a truly enjoyable one. ... More
Alexandra Apartments Bundaberg is a contemporary sanctuary in Bundaberg with homey comforts and chic style. Aside from immersing in history through the exhibits at Bundaberg & District Historical... More
Golden Palms Motor Inn Bundaberg guarantees reliable service and a friendly environment, which is available to anyone, whether you're coming with the whole family or just on your own. General... More
Providing comfortable and stylish accommodations without the hefty price tag, Alexandra Lodge Bundaberg makes for an ideal base for travellers staying in the heart of Bundaberg. While exploring the... More
Villa Mirasol Motor Inn Bundaberg is only a short walk from restaurants, shopping centres, theatres, art galleries, marina, parks and Central Business District. It is also 14 kilometres from the... More