Port Stephens hotels
Pampering Port Stephens
It doesn’t take a massive leap of imagination to work out why Port Stephens is known as ‘blue water paradise’. With an abundance of beaches and bays located just a couple of hours drive north of Sydney, Port Stephens is the perfect getaway for a blood-pumping adventure and/or some good old-fashioned recreational sitting – no matter whether you want to go for a weekend or forever!
Port Stephens puts a premium on variety. Take a stroll along the ‘shipwreck coast’ and discover the renowned 30-year-old Sygna Shipwreckon Stockton Beach. Or really let go of the city and take a trek into nature at the Tomaree National Park. Or just kick back by the waves and while the weekend away on One Mile Beach. The only question is: which do you want to do first? …
Port Stephen's Top 10
10. Deep Sea Fishing Jump on a charter boat and reel in a keeper!
5. Point Stephens Lighthouse For a charming slice of Australian history (with a fantastic view to boot) take a stroll up to the heritage-listed 140-year-old lighthouse and keeper’s cottage.
9. Hunter Valley Wine, Cheese and Chocolate Tasting Go walkabout while in town and immerse yourself in a ‘Day of Indulgence’ in nearby Hunter Valley.
4. Sandboarding on Stockton Beach The biggest stretch of sand in Port Stephens (over 1km (0.6mi) wide in places) is a killer spot for sandboarding.
8. Gan Gan Lookout Photo op alert! Snap a spectacular panorama that would rival even those of Ken Duncan.
3. Blue Water Sea Kayaking Whether you’re a shaky beginner or a seasoned paddler, there is a sea kayak adventure for everyone.
7. 4WD Tour Book a 4WD coast tour and explore the expansive sand dunes along Stockton Beach.
2. Toboggan Hill Park Fantastic for the kids (or your inner child). Jump in the deep end and fly down the metal toboggan ride.
6. Hoverflite Adventures Hold on tight as you explore both land and sea at 120km/h (75 mi/h) on a hovercraft.
1. Dolphin and Whale Watching All aboard on a day cruise, where more often than not you will see a pod of dolphins cheekily poking their heads up as they race your vessel around the bay.
Port Stephens Events
Sit back with some champers and watch one of the fastest-growing sailing regattas on the east coast at the Sail Port Stephens race in April.
Celebrate the long weekend with beers and busking at the Blue Water Country Music Festival in June.
Feast on some gourmet food and fine wine at the Shoal Bay Jazz, Wine and Food Festival in September.
Shuck an oyster or two at the Festival of the Sea in October.
When To Go
Summer gets nice and hot, and is popular with Sydneysiders looking for a less-crowded beach escape.
Spring is lush in Port Stephens, with most of the native wildflowers coming to life.
May to July is the best time to witness the thousands of migrating whales pass by.
Visit our partner page Port Stephens hotels by Hotel.com.au
There is a pretty decent bus service running between all of the bays of Port Stephens and Newcastle.
Each Port Stephens bay is relatively self-contained, so walking around the waterfront (especially Nelsons Bay) is a great way to see the sights.
By far the best way to get around Port Stephens is to drive – whether by your own car or by hiring a 4WD to check out the dunes.
The area of Port Stephens is easily one of the most beautiful in New South Wales, if not all of Australia. A ring of tidy hamlets, about one hour’s drive north of Newcastle, line a protected bay and offer more than 100 km of scenic shores to explore. To put it simply, Port Stephens is spectacular.
A massive natural harbor, Port Stephens is a wildly desirable holiday destination with urban-dwellers from Sydney, Newcastle and throughout New South Wales. Within a sunken valley of volcanic origin, people come from far and wide to admire rich biodiversity, magnificent scenery and a pristine coastline. With the recent creation of the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park, the area looks to remain that way. The 980 km2 park protects humpback whales, nurse sharks, dolphins, turtles, migratory birds and a wide variety of plant life. Popular suburbs of Port Stephens include the unofficial capital Nelson Bay, Shoal Bay and Fingal Bay.
Attractions & Activities
Restaurants & Nightlife
Port Stephens has a subtropical climate, with warm weather throughout the year.
- Summer (November to February) 15-27°C
- Fall (March to May) 12-26°C
- Winter (June to August) 8-19°C
- Spring (September to October) 11-23°C
Port Stephens On Wikipedia
Port Stephens official guide
16 hotels in Port Stephens, AU
Whether in Nelson Bay for business or leisure, travellers find ideal base at the stylish accommodations of The Nelson Resort and Conference Centre. This modern boutique-style resort is within... More
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Port Stephens offers elegant and cosmopolitan accommodations for discerning travellers looking for a relaxing beach getaway in Salamander Bay. While in Port Stephens,... More
Featuring modern accommodations close to must-see Nelson Bay attractions, Oaks Lure Apartments Nelson Bay offers an ideally situated sanctuary for holidaymakers in this part of Australia. While in... More
Nelson Towers Motel offers simply furnished accommodations with convenient facilities positioned in the heart of Nelson Bay, suitable for travellers seeking a tranquil holiday in Port Stephens.... More
Featuring stylish bed-and-breakfast accommodation strategically set in the heart of Port Stephens, Anne's Waterfront Haven B&B makes for a suitable starting point for exploring the vibrant area.... More
Being a blend of sophistication and simplicity, Boathouse holds prime position on the waterfront in picturesque Tea Gardens, which is an unspoilt seaside haven that offers boating, swimming,... More
Peninsula Nelson Bay contains our Deluxe/Standard/Executive room types. The well appointed Deluxe rooms contain new furnishings, new king size beds, sofa bed and a balcony. Our Spacious standard... More
Engulfed with crystal waters, pristine beaches and heavenly year round climate makes the Beaches Serviced Apartments in beautiful Port Stephens a recreational haven for people from all walks of... More
You will be pleasantly surprised at the style, elegance and quality - not to mention the affordability! The well traveled owners recognise that a truly memorable stay is not just about the quality... More