Infographics

Travel Experts Survey 2012: The Results Are In!

If you’ve ever wanted to become a travel writer, you’ve probably wondered about the tools and resources the pros use to make their jobs possible. The trade secrets of those who successfully turn international adventures into paychecks are an enticing mystery. Does the key lie in social networking? Is it finding the right technology that makes all the difference? Or have these professionals stumbled onto some obscure websites that the rest of us are ignorant about?

Unfortunately, there isn’t one explicit answer that will transform you into a travel writer overnight. It is a combination of all of these things that enable the professionals to do their jobs well enough to afford a warm meal and their next plane ticket.

So to gain some insight into the tricks of the trade, and hopefully get you one step closer to your dream job, we surveyed some of the best travel writers on the web about their working habits. We got the scoop on Twitter from three of the most ‘Followed’ travel tweeters in the business (@Paul_Steele, @TravelEditor, and @DaveDTC); found out that Paris and NYC are two of the best places in the world to find (marketable) inspiration; and were warned against going any where near Birmingham or Malaga.

Find out what else we learned in our detailed infographic below:

Travel Experts Survey 2012

What Makes A Travel Writer – An infographic by the team at HotelClub.com

Embed this infographic on your site: Copy and Paste the Code Below

3 Comments for "Travel Experts Survey 2012: The Results Are In!"

John Malathronas says on March 2nd, 2013 at 7:25 am:

Have you tried including opinions and stats from the British Guild of Travel Writers http://www.bgtw.org or Travelwriters.com or Travelwriters.co.uk which is where you’ll find many professional travel writers who regularly contribute to print, radio and TV? If not then the survey is already slanted towards social media and blogging from the sample I see.

hidden europe says on March 2nd, 2013 at 7:44 am:

The tricks of the trade are much simpler than you might even think (and certainly cheaper than you suggest here). Success as a travel writer is ensured by adhering precisely to the following formula:

1. Spend 20% of your time reading really good travel books (for if you don’t read heaps of great prose) then you’ll never really learn how to write. Every hour spent reading is an essential hour of learning about the craft of travel writing.

2. Spend 4% of your time travelling. (And if you are any good, you’ll realise that even that small fraction of time spent travelling will yield too much material).

3. Spend 1% of your time on the Internet (inc social media), taking care to avoid being distracted by the net for the other 99% of your time.

4. Spend 75% of your time writing.

5. Visit Birmingham.

A thought from two full-time writers and editors at hidden europe magazine.

Neha Vasadhani says on April 4th, 2014 at 9:53 pm:

Hi,

My name is Neha Vasandhani and i`d like to write a guest post for you.

I have a team of skilled writers and we are ready to make a research and provide a quality article that will go down well with your readers and give them some useful information.

It would be great if you could allow me to place a hyperlink in any part of the article (one link in article).

Please let me know if you are interested.

Trackbacks

No trackbacks.

Leave your Comment

Name *

Mail (will not be published) *

Your comment



* denotes a mandatory field