10 Stupid Laws Around the World
Being a lawful citizen isnâ€™t always easy – especially when it inconveniences you. Letâ€™s be honest: weâ€™ve all had our fair share of run-ins with laws we didn’t agree with.
This top 10 looks at some of the most preposterous, antiquated laws on the planet. We can, indeed, declare them to be downright stupid.
10. In the English city of Liverpool, home of The Beatles, a woman is prohibited by law to walk around topless, unless she is selling exotic fish at the market.
So if you plan a trip to Liverpool and for any reason want to take off your top, the fish market is the place to go. The smell might not be easy to handle but at lest youâ€™ll be able to walk around topless legally.
9. In San Salvador drunk-driving is punishable by death. The sentence is carried out immediately by a hastily-assembled firing squad.
I guess tourists that pick San Salvador as a holiday destination should use taxis as much as possible to avoid some potentially fatal accident. Drunk-driving is stupid and irresponsible but perhaps this is a bit too much?
8. In Indonesia masturbation is strictly forbidden. Anyone who breaks the law and gets caught risks getting beheaded.
All single men traveling to this Asian paradise should pay real close attention to this one, if you canâ€™t find any female companionship just control yourself, donâ€™t lose your headâ€¦
7. In Scotland the law obliges citizens to allow whoever knocks on their door to use their toilet.
So when in Scotland donâ€™t bother looking for public toilets, just knock on the first door that you can find and ask to use the facilities. If they have a firm handle on the law, theyâ€™ll welcome you right in. This law may be stupid but it does keep the city streets clean; who would want to go in a dark alley when they can use any toilet they want?
6. In Bahrain, the law prohibits a gynecologist to look directly at a patient’s organs. He must use mirror reflections to do his job.
If youâ€™re vacationing in Bahrain and a medical emergency necessitates a visit to the local OB/GYN specialist, just go back home. Call me crazy but I wouldnâ€™t let any physician treat me by using mirrors to find his way around – Iâ€™m pretty sure heâ€™d do more harm than good.
5. In the state of Alabama people are not allowed to drive while blindfolded.
This is one of those laws that raise questions like â€œcan they get any more pointless?â€ and “what heinous event brought this law on in the first place?”. If you want to fulfill a dream of driving thorough Alabama wearing a blindfold, youâ€™ll just have to let it go.
4. In London people are not allowed to catch a cab if they are infested with the plague.
Itâ€™s understandable I guess. London suffered a lot during the time of the â€œBlack Deathâ€ so perhaps they just figured if the disease struck again, this time theyâ€™d be prepared. Still, it really doesnâ€™t get much dumber than this.
3. Throughout Great Britain, pregnant women are allowed to deliver their babies in any public place and even use a policemanâ€™s helmet if necessary.
This would be one unforgettable experience wouldnâ€™t it? Some people travel to England just to get a photo with the famous royal guardsmen, but actually using a helmet to facilitate baby deliveryâ€¦priceless.
2. In the state of Florida if a single woman parachutes out of an airplane on a Saturday she risks doing jail-time.
Single women traveling to sunny Florida should stay away from airplanes and parachutes on Saturdays. Skydiving may be fun, but not when thereâ€™s a police car waiting for you on the ground.
1. In Kentucky people are prohibited from withholding firearms if they are longer than 6 feet.
So if youâ€™re a tourist/serial-killer traveling through Kentucky, youâ€™re perfectly okay unless your weapon of choice is longer than 1.8 meters. If it is, youâ€™re in trouble. The Kentucky police force wonâ€™t rest until they bring you down.