World’s stupidest laws
Being a law-abiding citizen isn’t always easy, especially when it comes to stupid laws. This top 10 looks at some of the most preposterous and antiquated laws on the planet. We can, indeed, declare them to be downright stupid.
1. This is possibly our favourite of all the stupid laws. In the English city of Liverpool (home of The Beatles), a woman is prohibited to walk around topless, unless she is selling exotic fish at the market. So, next time you find yourself in Liverpool wanting to take your top off, head straight to the local fish market. The smell might not be easy to handle, but at least you’ll be able to walk around topless without being arrested.
2. Coming in at a close second is a crazy law for all the pregnant ladies out there. Throughout Great Britain, pregnant women are allowed to deliver their babies in any public place and even use a policeman’s helmet, if necessary. Some people travel to England just to get a photo with the famous royal guardsmen, but actually using a helmet to facilitate baby delivery – priceless.
3. It seems Britain is the place for old-school laws. In London, you’re not allowed to catch a taxi if you’re infested with the plague. In fairness, London suffered a lot during the time of the “Black Death”, but surely it’s time to update their constitution!
4. In Scotland, the law obliges citizens to allow whoever knocks on their door to use their toilet. This law may be stupid, but it does keep the city streets clean. Who would want to go in a dark alley when they can use any toilet they want?
5. Now, to Indonesia for a one of the funniest laws on the list: masturbation is strictly forbidden. Indeed, anyone who breaks the law and gets caught risks being beheaded. We’re not sure how they police this one, but still, you might want to keep it in mind if you’re feeling frisky.
6. In Bahrain, the law prohibits a gynaecologist from looking directly at a patient’s organs; he must use mirror reflections to do his job. If you’re holidaying in Bahrain and need to see a gynaecologist, you’re probably best to get on the next flight home.
7. Now to the USA, for one of the stupidest laws on the list. In the state of Alabama, people are not allowed to drive while blindfolded. So, if you want to fulfil a dream of driving thorough Alabama wearing a blindfold, you’ll just have to let it go.
8. In San Salvador, driving under the influence is punishable by death. The sentence is carried out immediately by a hastily-assembled firing squad. Taxi, anyone?
9. In the state of Florida, if a single woman parachutes out of an aeroplane on a Saturday, she risks doing gaol-time. Skydiving may be fun, but not when there’s a police car waiting for you on the ground.
10. In Kentucky, people are prohibited from withholding firearms if they are longer than six feet. So, if you’re a tourist/serial-killer travelling through Kentucky, you’re perfectly okay unless your weapon of choice is longer than 1.8 metres.