Australia & NZ
Skiing in Australia Vs. New Zealand – Which is better?
Everyone looks for something different in a snow resort whether it be a cheap lift ticket, easy ski-in ski-out accommodation, tree skiing or perhaps its just party atmosphere that comes with so many young people on holidays doing what they love.
Both Australia and New Zealand offer top quality ski resorts within a relatively short distance of each other, so how do you decide which is right for you? In the infographic below we’ve done the hard work for you and compared the top 5 snowfields in both Australia and New Zealand to help you decide which country is more suited to both your on and off-piste needs.
In Australia we looked at Perisher Blue, Thredbo, Falls Creek, Mount Hotham and Mount Buller. And in New Zealand we checked out Cardrona, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Treble Cone and Mount Hutt.
Click on the image to see the full size infographic:
Currency conversions as at 23rd July 2012.
Like this infographic? Embed it in your website by copying the HTML below:
Did you know that :
- * Australia’s Perisher Blue offers more than twice the skiable area of New Zealand’s Treble Cone – the largest resorts in our study.
- * Both lift tickets and ski/board rentals are cheaper in NZ but you won’t have many options when it comes to on-snow accommodation or tree-skiing and the road up to the resorts can be very hairy.
- * New Zealand offers a number of great heli-skiing/heli-boarding options but it is not currently permitted anywhere in Australia.
- * New Zealand’s Treble Cone beats Australia’s Falls Creek in terms of highest annual snowfall reporting an average of 5.5m of snow each year.
- * If you’re looking for an unbeatable party atmosphere, you can’t go past NZ’s infamous Queenstown where you will find more than 130 bars and restaurants in 1 square kilometre.
Last Updated 16/8/12 – thanks to Greg from PowderHounds for providing up-to-date data on Treble Cone’s annual snowfall.
What’s your take? Where do you to prefer to ski or board? have you visited both sides of the Tasman?
Would you like to go to Queenstown? Take advantage of HotelClub’s Queenstown Ski Sale. Hurry up, this sale ends soon!