Fun

10 Must-Try Exotic Fruits

Traveling to an exotic destination is not just about swimming in the turquoise waters or sunbathing. You also have to taste some of the cuisine and sample some of the exotic fruits of the place. For those hot summers when you need something refreshing, we have collected 10 tropical fruits you absolutely must try.

Exotic Fruits

1. Rambutan
Native to Malay Archipelago, Southeast Asia
Coming from an evergreen tree, the Rambutan fruit resembles the Lychees, have a leathery red skin and are covered with spines. Rambutan is a popular garden fruit tree and one of the most famous in Southeast Asia. The fruit is sweet and juicy, being commonly found in jams or available canned.

Rambutan

2. Jackfruit
Native to southwestern India, Bangladesh, Philippines and Sri Lanka
Jackfruit is a common fruit for Asia and Australia and considered as one of the largest tree borne fruit in the world. The juicy pulp around the seeds have a taste similar to pineapple, but milder. Apart from canned jackfruit, it is also available as sweet chips. The wood of the tree is used for making various musical instruments, while the fruit is a common ingredient for many Asian dishes.
Jackfruit

3. Passion Fruit
Native to South America, grown in India, New Zealand, Brazil, etc
The passion fruit has a soft, juicy interior full of seeds, being commonly found in juices to boost their flavors. There are two types of passion fruit: the golden one (maracuyá), similar to a grapefruit and the dark purple passion fruit (gulupa), comparable in terms of size with a lemon. However, the latter ones have been reported as being mildly poisonous.
Passion fruit

4. Lychee
Native to southern China, found in India, Taiwan
Coming from an evergreen tree, the lychee or litchi are small white flesh fruits, covered in a red rind, rich in vitamin C and with a grape-like texture. The fruit has started making its appearance in markets worldwide, refrigerated or canned with its taste intact.
Lychee

5. Star fruit
Native to Indonesia, India and Sri Lanka
The star fruit comes from the carambola, a species of tree with pink flowers grown even in the US. The golden-yellow fruit is crunchy, sweet, with a taste of pineapples, apples and kiwis combined. There are two kinds of star fruits – acidulate and sweet, both rich in vitamin C. The fruit is particularly juice, some even making wine out of it.
Star fruit

6. Mangosteen
Native to the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas.
The mangosteen is another evergreen tree that produces oddly shaped fruits. The fruits are purple, creamy, described as citrus with a hint of peach. It is rich in antioxidants, some scientists even suggesting it can lower risk against certain human diseases, such as cancer. There are even legends about Queen Victoria offering a reward to the one that brings her the fruit.
Mangosteen

7. Kumquat
Native to China
The kumquats or cumquats are small edible fruits resembling oranges that grow in a tree related to the Citrus. As with most of the fruits in the Citrus family, the kumquats are eaten raw. They are often used in marmalade and jelly but also in alcoholic drinks such as liquor. The Taiwanese add it to their teas, while others boil it and use it as a remedy for sore throats.
Kumquat

8. Durian
Native to Brunei, Malaysia and Indonesia
Also known as the “King of Fruits,” Durian has a very particular odor, a unique taste and is covered by a hard husk. Having a disagreeable smell, compared to skunk spray or sewage, the fruit is forbidden in hotels and public transportations in Southeast Asia. Still, the whole experience is worth it, considering the absolutely divine taste of the Durian.
Durian

9. Dragon Fruit
Native to Mexico and Central and South America
Dragon fruit, strawberry pear or pitaya is a fruit of several cactus species with a sweet delicate taste and creamy pulp. The most common dragon fruit is the red pitaya, but other varieties include the Costa Rica pataya and the yellow pataya. Juice or wine can be obtained from the fruit, while the flowers can be eaten or used for tea.
Dragon Fruit

10. African cucumber
Native to Kalahari Desert, Africa
The African cucumber, horned melon or melano is a fruit that can be best described as melon with horns. It originated in the Kalahari Desert and is now present in California and New Zealand. The dark green pulp reminds one of bananas, limes, passion fruit and cucumber. It is often used for decorating food but also in smoothies and sundaes.
African cucumber

267 Comments for "10 Must-Try Exotic Fruits"

Laiet says on May 28th, 2008 at 2:53 pm:

Nice. I’ve had all those excepts the African cucumber. I’ve never heard of it before.

Mangosteen and Lychees are my favorites!!!

Get them all all good fruit stores near you! :D

Jessica says on May 28th, 2008 at 2:57 pm:

Hey, I’m from the Philippines and we also have Lychee, Mangosteen, Star Fruit, and Durian here.

Just wanted to say (:

marco w says on May 28th, 2008 at 7:07 pm:

I’ve eaten Durian in Bali. At first i couldn’t get past the fact it smelled like kerosene. We got it offered to us at a very popular Cafe in Ubud. I was the one to try the fruit, as the rest of the group couldn’t get past the smell, and i actually really enjoyed the taste.

Anon says on May 28th, 2008 at 8:55 pm:

Great list, love all (most) of them. However, can’t believe you forgot my favorite: soursop (or guanabana)

Yannis says on May 29th, 2008 at 12:38 am:

Great article, nice exotic fruits. I remember tasting the Rambutan a couple of years ago. Good taste.

Jason says on May 29th, 2008 at 1:09 am:

Divine indeed…you have obviously never tasted durian…

jeff says on May 29th, 2008 at 6:56 am:

I’m in Singapore (lah!) Whenever it’s durian season I have to stay inside. You can smell it EVERYWHERE; all the shops have it. I find the taste waxy, slightly sweet and bland. And your body will remind you over and over again that you’ve eaten it recently (if you know what I mean.)

Not to my taste.

Camille says on May 29th, 2008 at 7:22 am:

One that should be on here is the custard apple, one of my favorites! It has a hard, kind of leathery skin, and when you cut it open the inside is white and creamy with lychee-looking seeds in it. It tastes like pear custard. Delicious!

(and I agree with the durian comment. I think it tastes like canteloupe and onion)

Kaytee says on May 31st, 2008 at 3:11 am:

I absolutely love kumquats, I buy a bunch whenever they’re available at my store (usually during spring) and they are delicious! Slightly tangy, but nonetheless.

Mark says on May 31st, 2008 at 2:35 pm:

I’m pretty certain that the wildly differing opinions about durian come from genetic differences in how people taste and smell. The fruit’s chemistry is incredibly complex. So it’s not very helpful to report that it smells like X or tastes like Y, because the person you’re talking to might have a completely different experience. To me it smells garlicky and tastes like a rich pineapple custard (but better).

One of my favorite unusual fruits is the tree strawberry or Arbutus unedo, popular in Greece, if I understand correctly. These little fruits have too many seeds to please everyone. But when they’re nice and ripe (late autumn), and if it’s been a good year, they’re really luscious, kind of like a peach with a tart skin. But with a million little blackberry seeds stirred in.

Nevis1 says on June 2nd, 2008 at 3:31 am:

The third fruit down from the top, as you call it the starfruit, is heavily used and grown in the Caribbean, where it is known as the Carambola. They are excellent, and you can just pick them off a tree like an apple.

Mike – Nevis, West Indies

Nevis1 says on June 2nd, 2008 at 3:32 am:

Ooops, sorry about that, I meant the 5th fruit down, and I can’t edit the comment :(

redsunshine says on June 2nd, 2008 at 6:48 pm:

I’ve had the African cucumber. It has an interesting consistency. The taste reminds me of fresh cut grass with a hint of lemon. Not bad.

MykeO says on June 5th, 2008 at 7:58 am:

I’ve tried all (except the African Cucumber) and love them all. I’m sure I’ll also love the African Cucumber, if I could get my hands on one!

Nancy Birnbaum says on June 5th, 2008 at 2:41 pm:

Pitaya is the most amazing fruit i’ve ever eaten! Wish i could include the photo of me eating it.

lulu says on June 7th, 2008 at 7:58 pm:

has anyone tasted the chaya leaf or fruit and knows of it ? Lychee is the best

Maxo says on June 24th, 2008 at 2:53 am:

We have kumquats here in Florida. I enjoy them, but most people around here aren’t that crazy about them.

Iain says on June 28th, 2008 at 10:32 am:

…add the Ugli from jamaica…

Travel to Thailand says on July 1st, 2008 at 1:07 am:

I like durian but I don’t like its smell

Gracey says on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:46 am:

Yummmmy! I have tasted these fruits except for the last two: dragon fruit and african cucumber… looking forward for a taste of these fruits! Nice post!

Yutthaphoom K says on July 2nd, 2008 at 7:07 pm:

I like mangosteen, rambutan, jackfruit and lychee. When I was a kid I liked durain a lot but I don’t know why when I grew up I just don’t like it anymore. The smell is very strong but anyways I don’t mind eating fried durain thought. Did any of you try it before? It’s really yummy here in Thailand!

Rambutan says on July 4th, 2008 at 3:22 am:

Got to try the Rambutan for the first time while I was on Kawaii (Hawaii). We went to a little farmers market and got a bag of them

Best part of traveling is checking out the foods you can’t get at home!

Rambutan says on July 4th, 2008 at 3:24 am:

Wow, messed up that spelling. Thats Kauai

Jon says on July 14th, 2008 at 2:35 am:

I’ve tried about 4 of the fruits listed, but will try to find the others, now I know what to look for.

ng says on July 16th, 2008 at 3:08 am:

mangosteen, best tasting fruit IN THE WORLD!!!

i don’t like the word exotic – go ask an indonesian and s/he’ll tell you a strawberry is exotic!! pick your words better, mate!

Anne says on July 16th, 2008 at 7:16 am:

Purple passionfruit are mildly poisonous?? They are a mainstream variety in Australia, more common than golden, sold in supermarkets and nurseries, and it’s what goes on top of the national desert – pavlova. Never heard that one about their toxicity before. I like freezing them after buying them in bulk, and then scooping out the pulp as required for smoothies.

An edible fruit I know is mildly poisonous – the alkaloids (typical of the nightshade family) in native kangaroo apple, although a traditional indigenous food. Soviet Russia used it to manufacture birth control pills. That’s an exotic fruit I don’t recommend, although I’ve grown it, the taste is sweet but sickly!

Vicky Potter says on July 16th, 2008 at 4:40 pm:

You may come to Indonesia if u wanna taste the original fruits of it..^^

There are a lot more unique and juicy fruit^^

if you visit the Fruit Markets here, just easily ask for the origin name of them:

1. Rambutan as Rambutan
2. Jack Fruit as Nangka
3. lychee as Lechi
4. Star Fruit as Belimbing
5. Mangosteen as Manggis
6. Durian as Durian or Duren
7. Dragon Fruit as Buah Naga

commonly, Those will be easily got durring their season. Because, most of Indonesian (saouth east asian) fruits have their own particular season, such as Musim Rambutan (Rambutan Season) or Musim Duren (Durian Season).

Elizabeth says on July 16th, 2008 at 8:03 pm:

starfruit is yummy!

pipe says on July 17th, 2008 at 7:51 am:

Vicky, you miss Passion Fruit as Markisa

paige says on July 18th, 2008 at 7:16 pm:

i’ve tried this fruits in the Philippines and i love it!

especially the mangosteen and durian

H says on July 18th, 2008 at 8:47 pm:

Strawberries…exotic? Ask a Californian and he or she’ll tell you that everything on this list is exotic. Exotic, exotic, exotic. I like the word exotic.

Josh says on July 25th, 2008 at 11:44 am:

I have African Cucumbers growing in my garden, and i live no where near the Kalahari Desert. Im in South Africa however, i was told its poisonous and shouldt eat it lol….. Gonna try when i get home

Tim says on July 27th, 2008 at 2:57 pm:

Durian has got to be the most foul-tasting thing ever to grow on a tree.

Gee says on July 30th, 2008 at 7:57 am:

I like the taste of human flesh.

zalex says on July 31st, 2008 at 8:50 pm:

Since this list was published, they become ordinary, not exotic :)

Drako says on August 1st, 2008 at 5:47 am:

I am from Mexico and we have Carambola, Rambutan and more common Chaya leaf as lulu said, :D you should try the zapote, it’s a very rich fruit from here :) whenever you come to yucatan. you are welcome :)

indonesia says on August 2nd, 2008 at 12:40 am:

rambutan is indonesian fruits

M. Cespedes Castro says on August 12th, 2008 at 9:30 pm:

Dear fruit lovers.

I would like to say that in the case of the Cactus fruit Pitaya should be first as a common name since these is the Original name giving to several especies of the cactus family that are comercialize widely over America( I talk about the Continent). Since these is a fruit that belong to a family of plans native of these part of the world. From my humble point of view giving some exotic names. those not show the respect to those that have been ussing it for thousands of years. As a botanist and a native from these part of the world I kindly invite everybody to use the original names not only of these but also of all the other fruits we like to eat from other regions. By doing so we will contribute to protect the world
heritage. thanks and enjoy it:
yours kindly
Maguil Céspedes

Reshaa says on August 23rd, 2008 at 9:44 pm:

Tried 9 out of 10. Not surprising since I used to live in South East Asia. Ahh. How I miss the place and the food.

Leesan says on August 31st, 2008 at 2:30 am:

I am from Malaysia and have tried all the above except for African cucumber as I am not sure how it taste like.

Tynneisha says on September 3rd, 2008 at 2:52 pm:

hey every one i’m from the caribbean the beautiful islands of Trinidad and Tobago to be exact :) I have tried the first three fruits and Rambutan is my fav! the local name we have for “star fruit” are “five fingers” just had one a while ago!! its very come here…………………………..

Vineeth says on September 3rd, 2008 at 4:15 pm:

I have tried durian and mangosteen when i was at malaysia.Jack fruit is one of my favourites.you get a lot of it here in india.I o havent ever had african cucumber nor have i seen it before..i will have to try dragon fruit and star fruit when i see it next

Person says on October 1st, 2008 at 2:40 am:

Yum!

Ben and Jack says on October 2nd, 2008 at 2:23 pm:

Your article was very intriguing and delicious! :P

joe says on October 14th, 2008 at 9:02 am:

these look minging

charly says on October 15th, 2008 at 4:02 pm:

i’ve never tryed any of these but would like to!

janee says on October 26th, 2008 at 6:52 am:

the african cucumber is one of the grossest fruit i think i’ve ever had. the seeds have the texture of cross between a cucumber and a watermelon and are encapsulated in a thick, boogerlike consistancy. it has little to no flavor. i can kind of taste maybe grape. almost smells like a cleaning agent… not something i’d suggest.

Bob says on October 31st, 2008 at 2:59 pm:

I enjoy many types of fruit. I enjoy grapes the most. I have heard of all of those fruits apart from the African Cucumber. Where might I be able to buy that???

Bob :-) :-) :-)

Planet Berry says on November 1st, 2008 at 3:41 am:

Where is our beloved Acai Berry?

marcio delima says on November 11th, 2008 at 12:38 am:

Açai you can find over here in Brazil, we just açai down here and not acai berry. Come to Brazil paradise of fruits. for sure i even don’t know 20% of all fruits we have here. did you guys know “Jaboticaba”?

lala says on November 16th, 2008 at 10:06 pm:

Im from Liberia west Africa and we have all these fruits, but we call them different names
I’ve had such a hard time trying to find them, I live in maryland…
can anybody tell me where they can tell me where they sell them in md, Philly, or new jersey????
I really wanna get a taste of home, felt good to see them again
thanks

Lits says on December 4th, 2008 at 5:01 am:

All you guys who had unpleasant experience with durian, I totally agree with each of you having been through the same myself. But with a little courtesy to my friends who were persistently sharing what they know is good, by tasting a tiny piece about 5 times in a span of one month, I was rewarded, and learned about what acquiring a taste means. It’s now my favorite, tastes like custard ice cream, far from milk-onion-garlic taste the first time I had it. Tip: when trying a new fruit, especially durian, take a small piece and try to savor it. Then take your time and don’t shock your taste buds by racing at the rate enthusiasts eat, or you might also race to throw the thing up. That’s my bad experience which no one need to go through and still earn the reward. Hope you’ll someday also enjoy it like I do, then you’ll have something good to share as well. Lately, I’ve tried three other varieties (there are plenty which I’m looking forward to trying), which I won’t discuss here and would rather let the ‘brave’ discover for himself. But hope you guys will catch up, and maybe we’ll somehow meet along the way!

cheryll Ann says on December 7th, 2008 at 1:14 am:

have tried everything except the African cucumber. I am not sure I wanna try it though…

Jafar Calley says on December 27th, 2008 at 2:05 pm:

I just stumbled across this blog entry looking for the name of the spiky fruit I just ate was. I didn’t know the name of it and neither did the shop I bought it from. They just weighed it as a capsicum. I still think the 0.61 euro I paid was waaay cheaper than it was supposed to be. Now I know that the fruit that tasted like green banana with lime squeezed on top is called the African Cucumber :D

Reuben says on January 26th, 2009 at 6:49 pm:

The wax jambu is an exotic fruit you should all taste. Cannot describe its taste, but it looks like a pink pear.

African cucumber says on February 7th, 2009 at 2:59 pm:

Hi to all, may i know where to get african cucumber?

Thanks

hedbhkg says on February 9th, 2009 at 7:52 am:

some of it i tasted already

Ally says on February 10th, 2009 at 11:58 am:

I’ve had all them except durian, although I’d like to try it soon. Unfortunately, the mangosteen I have eaten had gone bad and was awful, so I don’t know what they are supposed to taste like! I found the rest of them to be mediocre, except passionfruit. I love them and eat them all the time.

Andri Kyrychok says on February 10th, 2009 at 9:09 pm:

Wow, a very good rundown on some fruits I had not known about before. Nice list!

Nancy Jones says on February 19th, 2009 at 10:20 am:

I haven’t tasted anyone of those fruits but I’m doing a project on them!!! I think was very useful telling you where they come from and what the fruits is generally like! So thanks for that. You have helped me alot in my project

Jimmy Three Shoes says on February 26th, 2009 at 11:47 am:

I am from china we have a fruit called Poo fruit it takes like poo

Michael says on March 1st, 2009 at 7:58 am:

Had plenty of rambutan in Indonesia. Tried several other fruits but rambutan was my favorite.

Jazeela says on March 8th, 2009 at 4:20 pm:

I love mangousteen

carambolas taste like grass says on March 13th, 2009 at 11:25 pm:

This site is pretty good. I really want to try mangosteens but doesn’t it have to be exposed to radiation?

Carambollas (star fruit) are avalible in MA united states. Ive had one before and it taste like grass mixed with an apple. It taste really good.

I sooo… want to try african cucumber! From what “janee” said It seams like the perfect fruit for me.

Elizabeth says on March 22nd, 2009 at 2:56 pm:

Where do you get these kind of fruits? I live in Iowa… so they definately don’t grow here! They sound very cool though, and I would like to try them!

Vietnam Portal says on April 8th, 2009 at 6:23 am:

I think those are the best and most typical fruits of tropical regions. They’re healthy too.

Lily says on May 12th, 2009 at 2:34 am:

Nice list! i tried most of them, Yummy!

Euphoria says on May 13th, 2009 at 10:52 am:

Tried them all and they are delicious if consume tree ripe. Like everything in life, natural matured is essential and it tickles all your senses in a special sensation, a “Tropical Experience” one can not forget.
Dragon fruit is not as tasty as the passion fruit.
The African cucumber is more a cooling fruit as it’s originate in a hot blazing country.

But Asia has so much more exotic and sweet & sour fruits.
From a baby 7cm to a 40-50 cm long banana, a mandarin orange to a basket ball size grapefruit.

They are available in major Chinese shops at most large cities in Holland.

Somebody mention Jamboe/ Jambu There are so many sorts of them and taste differently but again, very nice!

How about the Cacao flesh? around the bean ! They taste soooo good!!!
Papaya in many different sorts.

Some of them are difficult to get here but you can definitely get them in the markets of Paris and Barcelona. Travel and enjoy! it’s 2 hours flying.

Isn’t God good to provide us with all these exotic stuff? Imagine it might disappear if we are not careful with our environment.
Be good to one and other, live and share as if it’s your last day.

trinidelphia says on May 24th, 2009 at 11:06 pm:

I have had the carambola (starfruit), kumquat, dragonfruit, and passion fruit. Some friends showed me a passion fruit tree when i lived in Trinidad-with that had slightly under-ripe fruit, but i had to try it. I burst it and sucked the pulp from the rind. They told me later I should stop because it would burn my lips- i think now it had something to do with it being “mildly poisonous”, as the article says. I was ok tho!

Ben says on May 26th, 2009 at 2:18 am:

I had some ‘African Cucumber’ this weekend although from what information I have gathered it’s more properly known as Kiwano Melon. It tasted really good at first but the more I ate the more it started to taste like medicine.

When I bought it nobody knew what it was and there was no label on the container I took it out of. The person working the checkout spent 10 minutes before finding someone who could figure out what it was.

Indian Recipes says on May 27th, 2009 at 9:29 pm:

Jack Fruit,Star Fuit and Lychee are know to me.Others i have never seen in India.
Lychee is my favorite fruit.

CRchica says on May 27th, 2009 at 11:52 pm:

those are some freakishly freaky fruits. i aagree with the first person… guanabana is the bomb!

paris says on June 9th, 2009 at 10:08 am:

just need to try 7 and 10.
already taste other

sunshine says on June 25th, 2009 at 4:01 am:

I just tried Lychee and kumquats for the first time when I was in Hawaii. I couldn’t believe how good the Lychee was. I did not know what it was called and upon returning home to the mainland, attempted to find it in the stores. I didn’t know what it was called, so had to look it up on the internet. I found in a grocery store. I just hope they are half as delicious as those on the island!

Anon says on June 29th, 2009 at 8:51 pm:

according to Men’s Health magazine kumquat is a hybrid fruit

backpacking philippines says on July 9th, 2009 at 2:30 am:

tated 7 of them…boy i love them all and hail to durian! will search for the 3 others

Agamemnon Williams says on July 9th, 2009 at 10:47 pm:

I absolutly adore the dragon fruit! it totally turns me on!

welcome to Thailand says on July 14th, 2009 at 4:52 am:

You can see its all in Thailand.

Durian Nonthaburi is Really king of fruit.

anon says on July 25th, 2009 at 7:29 am:

hi
I live in Thailand and to me 8 of the above mentioned fruits (African cucumber and Kumquats being the exception) are not exotic at all they are simply the normal fruits we eat in our everyday life and they taste amazingly good i cannot imagine living without them. also apart from these Thailand has a lot more varieties sometimes not commonly available in the market that taste heavenly. This country is really a fruit heaven

anon says on July 25th, 2009 at 7:34 am:

Try LONGANS, CUSTARD APPLES, LON TAN, MA YOM, lONGkONG, some more nice fruits from thailand

alludra says on July 28th, 2009 at 4:20 pm:

mmm, i was hoping persimmons would be mentioned. :)

bola says on August 5th, 2009 at 2:51 pm:

some of these fruits are found in nigeria but wasnt metioned e.g the star fruit and kumquat……

udaipur says on August 7th, 2009 at 5:36 am:

Indeed a very well written article, very informative thanks for posting it on the net..I could use this as reference and many others can also use it.
Thanks again..
Jain Neha

sara says on August 8th, 2009 at 12:35 am:

sweet fruit but it look gross

MRS P A ANDREWS says on August 11th, 2009 at 1:40 pm:

Dear All, Thank you for giving me some insight on the ten(10) fruits listed , but i am familiar with most of them listed. But, I am fascinated about the mangosteen i do have a question about it. My question is -HOW DO I OBTAIN PLANTS OR SEEDS FROM THIS FRUIT?. Kindly give me some information and keep up the good works on unusual fruits from around the world. Have a great day .

Beth AL says on August 12th, 2009 at 3:01 am:

Thanks for this great list! I would like to try all ofthere but they’re hard to find in Los Angeles California. I did try the soursop (or guanabana) last week. It was in the frozen food isle and i made an icy slushy treat. It was ok, not a fan of sweet/sour fruits but next time I’ll try to find a fresh one. There are 3 fruits that I would like to try:
Rollina, Custard Apple and the Cherimoya. Some say that the custard Apple and Cherimoya is the same fruit but they’re not. Just in the same fruit family. HAs anybody ever heard of the mamey fruit?

Alexa says on August 20th, 2009 at 12:33 am:

EEWW!! everything looks gross! Lol

Mike says on August 20th, 2009 at 8:02 am:

kumkuats can be found easily in Corfou Greece!

Daisy doo says on November 23rd, 2009 at 7:39 pm:

THEY ALL LOOK LUSH!!!!!!!!! :):):) xxx

MollyB says on November 26th, 2009 at 3:13 pm:

Dragon Fruit looks cool, but has all the flavour of water. It’s boring. Even my fruit loving kids won’t eat it, and they like everything. Not worth the crazy price.

holly says on December 1st, 2009 at 10:19 pm:

they are so grooss.

Jorge Alarcon says on December 5th, 2009 at 10:24 pm:

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Kamila says on December 6th, 2009 at 9:52 pm:

I think the most delicious fruit is Feijoa(pineapple guava).It taste like strawberries and kiwi mix!!! :)

Angelic says on December 11th, 2009 at 7:38 pm:

I never thought these fruits Rambutan;Jackfruit,Star fruit;Mangosteen;Durian are all exotic because they are really abundant here in the philippines, when i was young i thought apple is very exotic but when i grow up i’ convince that it isn’t. Well, i could say that these fruits have a distinct taste of it’s own,and maybe this is the reason why they are considered as exotic…but anyways todas las frutas es deliciosa.. hehehehhe.. =)

Salinda says on December 14th, 2009 at 2:14 pm:

9 from 10 i can find in Thailand.

i hate the smell of durian but i used to eat once, its taste like custard but smell wild.
Kumquat can find in Thailand too, we call “ma-yong-chit” taste sweeeeet and a little bit sour
south east asia fruits always tase sweet and sour except durian and dragon fruit (taste watery like watermalon)

stay here for a year i can eat 9 from 10 of them

lkhondkd says on December 27th, 2009 at 5:26 pm:

cool fruits!

Breanna says on January 10th, 2010 at 5:44 pm:

The African Cucumber is actually called a KIWANO!!!
Trust me. I love them. =)

Jackie says on January 13th, 2010 at 2:16 am:

i love dragonfruit!!!!

Denis williams says on January 16th, 2010 at 12:36 pm:

I am trying to source KUMQUATS for perssonal use.

WHERE do i get them, I am based close to Manchester Airport.

DW

Aidan says on January 23rd, 2010 at 4:36 pm:

have only tried the dragon rfruit and it was absolutly lush but seem to lack in flavour. wot u culd taste was pretty good though

giz says on January 24th, 2010 at 8:23 pm:

we have five of those fruits in our garden, not jokes.

jasmine says on January 27th, 2010 at 8:26 pm:

anymore fruits to try???:)
ive had them all
have you tried a cherrymoya??
JL

mm says on January 31st, 2010 at 1:06 am:

suck

mahdi says on January 31st, 2010 at 1:13 am:

they are suck

brands 2010 says on February 1st, 2010 at 2:15 pm:

all fruits are tasty very nice

brands 2010 says on February 1st, 2010 at 2:17 pm:

im single as a pringle so looking for good time!!!

budd says on February 1st, 2010 at 2:17 pm:

dont know this fruits peche

casey says on February 1st, 2010 at 2:21 pm:

yo :) :) :) :)

noob says on February 4th, 2010 at 11:52 am:

z0mg h4x! FOOK!

Tanzania Safari says on February 8th, 2010 at 6:37 am:

Come to Tanzania and maybe you can find some African cucumber. It’s a very interesting (and tasty) fruit.

LatinAmericanFood says on February 10th, 2010 at 12:19 am:

There is another exotic player no one mentioned: Lulo, very sweet with a touch of sour.

Aaron says on February 24th, 2010 at 9:29 pm:

Disguisting fruits eeeewwwwww

alison says on March 2nd, 2010 at 10:26 pm:

I wouldn’t go too crazy eating starfruit… they contain calcium oxalate crystals (giving their sort of bitter flavor), which contribute to kidney stone formation! Their taste is not worth the aftermath! A couple won’t hurt, though.

tutu says on March 9th, 2010 at 10:33 pm:

nice list. i also like loquat, guava, longan, and fig.

name says on March 11th, 2010 at 2:15 pm:

hi all

zeke says on March 14th, 2010 at 4:28 am:

I am in Thailand and at least 8 of them you can easily find here ( I’m not sure about Kumquat whether you can find in Thailand but African cucumber is not here, for sure ). Some of them are quite cheap. For example, Lambutan with the exchange rate 33 baht/ $1. You can buy 2 kilograms of it with $1 here ( in its season ). So if you want to try these exotic fruits, come to Thailand. Not only will you find these 8 or 9 fruits but also other fruits that you can enjoy. Apart from fruits, Thai foods are gorgeous too……

Takoko says on March 23rd, 2010 at 8:48 pm:

I have tried Rambutan, Passion Fruit, Lychee, Dragon Fruit, and Star Fruit! I love them all, but my favorite is the Rambutan. :D

Meg says on March 26th, 2010 at 11:20 am:

What does dragon Fruit taste like?

arash says on April 3rd, 2010 at 4:10 am:

I wanted to know which of tropical fruits can be cultivated in greenhouses

Witney Accountants says on April 8th, 2010 at 10:59 am:

I am feeling hungry! My mouth is watering..i am drooling already!

lololollol says on April 11th, 2010 at 3:05 pm:

i like this wed site with the top ten :) :) :P

davinsky says on April 12th, 2010 at 6:54 pm:

Nice One!! Tasted all but the African cucumber!! By the way can the Indonesians in the house stop saying this fruit or that fruit is Indonesian… all exotic Southeast Asian fruits like mangosteen, durian, rambutans, guavas, starfruit etc. grow throughout the southeast asian region, parts of greater asia plus all the way to Hawaii and South America so it is very difficult to determine where exactly they originally originated from.

Just for info:Durians have many variations that are given code numbers (d24, d9, d7 etc. the original is Durian “kampong” or village durian). The different variations have different taste and smell. Most popular commercially in Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore is the D24.

Cheers!

loretta says on April 16th, 2010 at 4:30 pm:

I’d very like to try Passion Fruit and African Cucumber. From 7 fruits of this list I have tried before, Dragon fruit is definitely the worst. It tastes like pear; no excitements at all.

Kavitha pillai says on April 23rd, 2010 at 12:23 pm:

hey one shouldnt miss having the Mangoes which i feel is one of the wonderful fruits which i have had.

i just wanted to tell, you should have it once.

james says on April 24th, 2010 at 6:18 am:

i’m from zamboanga city in southern mindanao that is shape like the male organ if you see the map!!
you guys are missing some yummy fruits which the article didn’t mention- Marang, Lanzones and Chico……..
Durian as they say smells like hell but taste like heaven.
here’s a tip for you, after eating durian, take the shell and fill it
with water to rinse your filthy mouth and walla! the smell is gone!

brandon says on April 30th, 2010 at 9:28 am:

hell im from great britan and im in school right now but i dont like that fruit that smells like poo

Becka says on May 3rd, 2010 at 6:50 pm:

Mmmm those all look so yummy!! I want to try dragon fruit so badly.. I seen it in the store and was like wdh is that? LOL.. Anyways.. Those are all look so goood.. Enjoy natures candy everyone :) !

denise says on May 8th, 2010 at 12:26 pm:

just bought dragon fruit from asda sunderland cost 27 p each, no taste wont buy again got no taste boring

Bob Carn says on May 11th, 2010 at 7:48 pm:

yum!!! looks good!!

brandon says on May 14th, 2010 at 9:23 am:

hia

Elliot says on May 15th, 2010 at 10:43 am:

Hi Brandon im at home and the neighbors have tht fruit tht smells like poo we cant go ou side

@$!@ B3@by says on May 20th, 2010 at 12:46 pm:

th3y all l00k g00d 2 m3 :-)

@$!@ B3@by says on May 20th, 2010 at 12:47 pm:

mmmmi nick name is bobo

simpllle chan says on May 20th, 2010 at 12:48 pm:

lolololololololo im :-) :-) ;

ME! says on June 7th, 2010 at 12:00 pm:

DRAGONFRUIT IS THE BEST!!!

ME! says on June 7th, 2010 at 12:02 pm:

u can get dragonfruit in australia too for $2.00

lakmal60 says on June 12th, 2010 at 7:47 am:

All fruits are tasty very nice…Thanks for this great list!

Tan B. says on June 14th, 2010 at 3:36 am:

I think those fruits look very weird. I like new fruits and look forward to trying them with my family in the future.

Skormi says on June 15th, 2010 at 7:12 am:

Huh…
I just tried some canned lychees and they were absolutely vile. I’m sure they taste better fresh, though.
I’ve always wanted to try dragon fruit, and I could live off star fruit, it’s so delicious.
But here in south texas, we have a kumquat tree (or maybe it could be considered a bush?) growing in our back yard. I had no idea that they were ‘exotic’. I don’t eat them often, as they have a lot of skin and not so much flesh, but they are good.

brooke says on June 17th, 2010 at 7:42 pm:

the rambutan looks like shit

icats says on June 21st, 2010 at 2:14 am:

i havent tried any of theses fruits be the star fruit looks kinda good maybe when i get older the other fruits look very disgusting so im afraid to try them the ones with bad smell keep me away i will distroy them if they smell that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miamee says on June 26th, 2010 at 2:18 pm:

ive tasted every fruit posted in this article. they taste great. very refreshing to the palate and not heavy , very lite texture, except durian… well, i love durian, but i don’t recommend it to dieters… here in the Philippines, carambola is a native fruit, it’s sold cheap and it’s astringent…its great for salads…pitaya is very expensive here,,,

Michael says on June 30th, 2010 at 7:38 pm:

I love your adjectives that describe fruit!

charlie says on July 5th, 2010 at 6:40 am:

I have had most but not the horned melon .The dragon fruit ,you must try the red very sweet white not very tasty but the red hard to find.Now we have started to grow some red ,I want to plant a lot more of the red perhaps one hectare can have 30,000 of these .The jackfruit I really like and the durian is best cold not warm and fresh .Very tasty cold and fresh,In Cambodia there is so much to eat for fresh fruit .

charlie says on July 5th, 2010 at 7:16 am:

It is true the white dragon fruit has little flavor but it’s a super fruit good for diabetes .The red however is sweet ,hard to find and eat a lot and you will pee red .We grow both red and white pitiya dragon fruit longon palm fruit starfruit coconut jackfruit mango banana 2 kinds big and asian small papaya rose apple orange lime pomegranite and grapefruit and something like the longgon but a bit sour tamarine too and a few others names i don’t remember but working to add many more to our farm in cambodia oh sorsop too

Bob Frazee says on July 16th, 2010 at 6:03 pm:

I’m glad that you listed Durian just so I could see how someone could possibly say something good about the worst fruit in the world. It has the consistency of custard and the taste of garlic. But then, a friend who grows them told me, “Bob, not all fruit tastes like apples and oranges.”

Anesu says on July 21st, 2010 at 2:14 pm:

Ah, sweet memories. I grew up on the African cucumber down in Zimbabwe. The plant just pops out in our gardens in summer. Its good. Can be eaten green or ripe and for some reason, we loved the green ones , de-horned , sliced, and with a shake of salt. It is called a ‘gaka’ in my venecular or magake when they are many.

Ignatius says on July 26th, 2010 at 12:05 am:

hi guuys (;

ignatius's cousin says on July 26th, 2010 at 12:08 am:

whered ignatius’s comment go D:

neil says on July 26th, 2010 at 9:57 am:

what is white dragon fruits?

Kevin says on July 28th, 2010 at 8:11 pm:

I’ve eaten all of the listed fruits with the exception of the African cucumber. I actually have a Lychee, Kumquat, Dragon Fruit, as well as half a dozen other exotic trees at my house in CA.

debbie says on July 30th, 2010 at 5:29 pm:

i have only tryed the African cucumber, i hope to get my hands on the rest , i have to say the African cucumber is good it has a lime tast to it then gos sweet and then bland. i might not have gotin it at the right time .but it odd to chew on. not my fave. i have almost tryed Durian the smell is like nasty b.o. i cant see how people figurd out you could eat it >.<
im in western U.S.

Evan says on August 1st, 2010 at 2:21 am:

Ive tasted all of them exept duian and jackfruit. Durians are too expensive and ive never herd of jackfruit

icats says on August 1st, 2010 at 8:16 pm:

hi its me again i heard of this fruit called the miracle berry its supposed to make bad foods taste really good ooo and i think that this website is really cool i want to try a fruit so bad but im just gonna stick with strawberries bannas apples and grapes for now

rhem says on August 5th, 2010 at 9:09 am:

What about the Santol? Is it native or exotic? And also do you have a list of Philippine exotic plant trees?
Thank you so much!

Yogesh Munal says on August 13th, 2010 at 5:41 am:

have had 9 out of 10 fruits… one which is left out is african cucumber.. and i really loved rambutan and dragon fruit so much… but lychee is my all time favourite.. so is rambutan now because of their almost similar taste :)

audrey cole says on August 22nd, 2010 at 12:27 am:

i spent some time in thailand recently. fell in love with rambutan fruit. would absolutly love to purchase a rambutan fruit tree so i could enjoy this delicious fruit at home. can anyone tell how i could get one?

Liz says on September 1st, 2010 at 2:19 pm:

When I moved to Florida 3 years ago I had never even heard of a Kumquat. I was offered one and I tried to peel it (much like an orange) I was told that you don’t peel them you pop the whole thing into your mouth and chew it up. At first I thought they were taking advantage of my ignorance but everyone was eating them that way so I tried it. Its actually really refreshing! Not bitter at all, I suppose because they are so small. Anyway I really liked them!

Khasie says on September 3rd, 2010 at 11:41 pm:

How is the dragon fruit???

saiful says on September 6th, 2010 at 9:13 am:

My house is surround with Rambutan tree (20 trees).
Hi aundrey Cole and every body, you may contact me if you want the rambutan and mangosteen. Very cheap here in Malaysia. saiful7001@gmail.com

siri says on September 6th, 2010 at 3:22 pm:

i’m simply crazy about lychees.i go gaga for them . i always buy 2-4 bunches[ each bunch containing 25 fruits] every time they are available

bob paisly says on September 13th, 2010 at 12:37 pm:

this is a cool website

Andrew says on September 18th, 2010 at 1:58 am:

Ahhh… much as I love my homeland, it is still sad to be a fruit-lover in southern Manitoba, where the most unique fruit is the cranberry…

camille says on September 29th, 2010 at 4:29 pm:

the fruit looks very nasty
but sweet and juicy at the time.
like the pics most of all so keep up with the close shots

Sarah says on October 2nd, 2010 at 4:42 pm:

i RLLLYYYY wanna try the dragon fruit one and the african cucumber 2 omg they luk and sound so gooooddd!!!!! to top tht its healthy fruit

matt and abbey says on October 14th, 2010 at 5:14 pm:

excellent article. we are amazed at this great number of divine, exotic fruits. we consider ourselves exotic fruit experts and definitely agree on your pristine decisions for this list. in our opinion we would have included the compapa striped apple from Indonesia, but we will still accept your choices for the list. what a group of intelligent people, rock on exotic fruit!!!!!

Sarah says on October 16th, 2010 at 1:31 am:

i liv in Illinois so where can i get dragon fruit which is my no. 1 interest… i wld also like to try the african cucumber, but its not as nessesary SOMEONE PLEASE WRITE BACK

Rei says on October 24th, 2010 at 1:22 pm:

Durian is amazing.
Some says it smells reall nasty, but honestly, it smells GREAT!
It takes specific genes to really enjoy it though…hence the violent views on whether it smells or tastes good.
Still.
Everything is worth a try!

Cody D. says on October 24th, 2010 at 3:50 pm:

is there any way i can try all of them in america i no i can get star fruit but . . . the rest i dont know

Arachphon says on October 30th, 2010 at 1:16 am:

well, first 9 of these list can find in Thailand : )
and of course, I tried it all

and rambutan is great! : D

kripalika says on November 13th, 2010 at 4:30 am:

i’m from the philippines and durian is abundant here. i’m not crazy about it. last time i ate one was when my boss was here…out of courtesy i guess.
we had rambutan tree in the backyard. and our neighbor had starfruit.
i enjoy eating jackfruit though and i love the smell.
you should also try marang. it’s milky and sweet.

Bekah says on November 13th, 2010 at 4:28 pm:

I live in Maryland and for anyone wondering, (Lala) I have found a few of these fruits in my local Safeway and Food Lion.

mistress sherbert says on November 16th, 2010 at 10:39 pm:

fruit is nice

NaPa says on December 3rd, 2010 at 5:41 am:

I already tried 7 from those listed exotic fruits. The fruits that I haven’t eaten yet are mangosteen, dragon fruit, and african cucumber

Jelly says on December 13th, 2010 at 8:21 am:

I believe in the dominican republic has the best tasting fruits ever!!!!!!!! Guanabana, ceresa, manzana de oro, tamarindo and many others really really tasty

Ester says on December 28th, 2010 at 7:54 pm:

the Durian smells really fowl…stinky!!! however it is very delicious.

Marshmallow says on January 6th, 2011 at 4:39 pm:

ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! REALLY scary fruits here!! I ate Dragon fruit once and found it DISGUSTING!!!! Anyway, live and let eat i always say

Dante says on January 21st, 2011 at 11:32 pm:

I’m suprised there is no star fruit.

I’ve tryed dragonfruit, it’s really good. It’s really a cactus, but tastes like pear + kiwi… its so good!! Try it…

kritika says on March 21st, 2011 at 4:23 pm:

the dragon fruit is absolutely mouth watering….just had it once…:D

John says on March 25th, 2011 at 12:21 pm:

Has anyone heard of “katagbak” found in Mindanao? i am looking for the scientific name for this very unique fruit.

Lucy says on April 1st, 2011 at 6:23 pm:

I have just returned from Egypt and tried a very strange fruit! The skin is red and shiny and it is roughly the size of a plum. After I ate it, it left my teeth feeling very strange and coated. Does anyone know what it is called?

matt says on April 17th, 2011 at 12:23 am:

I have tried all the fruits on the list and found some in two different places in the bay area. One that i found that most people cant find has the African cucumber. I found it at berkeley bowl in berkeley california. Its the one on heinz street. Also all the other fruits i found in sf called new may wah on clement street. I was hunting for exotic fruits for a while and finale found them. So happy that i found them.

jay says on May 6th, 2011 at 9:15 am:

Guys had 7 fruits from the list , Kumquat, cucumber and Durian never see them so far, elephant apple its great to taste.i have tried … we should list out the hidden fruits from each country

porcano says on May 7th, 2011 at 7:15 am:

i’ve never heard about african cucumber, if i could have it ,i dont think i can taste it, it looks scary!
I <3 rambutan,star fruit(balingbing)
guys! have you try to eat MABOLO?

Nerine says on May 12th, 2011 at 10:48 am:

African cucumber is delicious- tastes like Pimms noithout the alcohol. Cucumbery with an appley melony overtone- very fresh tasting. It looks stunning in the fruit bowl too.

Russell says on June 27th, 2011 at 4:55 am:

As a Queenslander (northern Australia) passion-fruit were a part of life. And a delicious part at that! Lychees were first in cans – too sickly – but fresh lychees came to Australia later, and they’re just divine. My grandmother grew cumquats for marmalade, although hers were too bitter to eat raw. I’ve since tasted cumquats that are really lovely raw. Recently in Thailand I tasted dragonfruit – maybe not properly ripe, but it was quite tasteless and not very sweet – I’ll give them another try. I also tasted durian – very nice, but again, out of season, and not worth the smell!! I’ll try it again in season as I do believe they are delicious. I recently moved to China and tried mangosteen, and they are really delicious. I thought star fruit a bit tasteless too – so it may have been out of season. I’ve yet to come across jackfruit, African cucumber or rambutan, although I’m looking forward to trying them.

juan camilo says on July 9th, 2011 at 3:57 am:

what about guanabana!!!!!!!!!!

pati says on July 29th, 2011 at 2:38 pm:

If you live in the midwest of the USA, there is a grocery store near Cinncinnati, Ohio called “Jungle Jim’s” which may be the largest grocery store in the world and it carries almost all of these fruits

TARA TAN KITAOKA says on August 18th, 2011 at 11:06 am:

GREAT FRUITS.

Joy says on September 18th, 2011 at 11:08 am:

I had the opportunity to eat dragon fruit, and it is now my favorite fruit of ALL time!!! It is sweet and juicy with the texture of kiwi, but not sour as kiwis sometimes can be. Very sweet and delicious. You cut it in half and then use the two sides as pretty bowls that you spoon the delicious fruit out of….YUMMM! I saved the seeds and am going to plant them. Also the cactus that my fruit was growing on is supposed to also get roots and grow for me. We’ll see! I live on the island of Guam, so it should grow in our tropical climate here.

Farook says on September 18th, 2011 at 6:14 pm:

I’ve eaten mangosteen,star fruit, jack fruit and rambutan out of these 10 fruits.All is very tasteful.. One kind of star fruit is also used for pickle and here in Kerala jack fruit before becoming fruit is used for curry and upparichwala (mixed with salt)..

Judy says on September 22nd, 2011 at 11:59 pm:

Dragonfruit are wonderful. Don’t they also grow in S.E. Asia?

Ove says on October 2nd, 2011 at 7:38 pm:

After eating fresh mango in Manila in the Philippines i have to say its my favorite fruit, it can not be compared with the imported mango i can buy here in Europe.

Someone says on October 4th, 2011 at 1:08 am:

Yummy

I ate durian and i puked… The smell was overwhelming
Lol but all the other fruits are delicious in my opinion.
Love Mangosteen

Ellie says on August 26th, 2012 at 12:48 am:

I am from Jamaica and have eaten most of these fruits which grow there. I have had soursop, honey apple, guava, star fruit, jack fruit, lychee, sapodilla and kumquat and found them quite interesting. My favorites, however, are guava, sapodilla and custard apple which someone referred to, but it was not included in the list above. I do respect each person’s opinion re the taste of each fruit because some are “exotic” as one might have to really acquire their taste to enjoy them. Those of you who have not experienced them, search them out, taste them – call it a “fruit tasting adventure” if you will. I will be looking out for those that I have not tasted and if on my first taste my reaction is “UGH” then I will be somewhat more knowledgeable for the experience but of course, will move on to something else – what’s there to lose?

air filtration says on January 5th, 2013 at 7:05 am:

hello there and thanks for your information ? I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points the usage of this site, since I experienced to reload the web site many occasions previous to I may get it to load properly. I have been considering in case your web hosting is OK? No longer that I am complaining, however slow loading circumstances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could injury your high quality rating if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and could glance out for much extra of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this once more very soon..

Reem says on February 13th, 2013 at 11:38 pm:

My favorite fruits are dragonfruit, mangosteen and Rambutan. Yummyyyyy I had those in Thailand during my honeymoon

those fruits comes from Indonesia says on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:10 pm:

man, you wrong mentioned, those fruits comes from Indonesia: Rambutan, its in indonesia language, in english mean hairy fruit.
Star fruit
Mangosteen
Durian/the “King of Fruits”, only from indonesia, its in indonesia language, in english mean spines fruit.

Josh says on April 29th, 2013 at 5:57 pm:

Don’t forget the Quince guys. The true and age-old apple of love.

Durian says on May 19th, 2013 at 11:30 am:

Durian comes in different taste depending on its Kind Here in Davao ( City in Philippines ) we have more than 5 kinds of Durian . We have some bitter Durians , some are bland but the folks here always buy the sweet kind of Durian .

If you’d like to eat one don’t rush yourself , savor it a little by little and you’ll be used to the taste .

Michael Kors Watches Rose Gold says on April 2nd, 2014 at 1:51 pm:

“We need everybody every night.Ryan to NE 47 for 1 yard (M.Rice right tackle to BLT 12 for 5 yards (B. Theyre a Ken Pomeroy gem. Michigan State,Weatherford punts 46 yards to DEN 46,03J. The Celtics have played back-to-back games eight times this season and have now been swept five times. had 15 points and 12 rebounds,66.
Michael Kors Watches Rose Gold http://mkwatchesale.redpublishing.co.uk/

Trackbacks

1. 10 MORE Must-try exotic fruits
  2. 10 Exotic Fruits You Probably Don’t Know About « Toplists
  3. Amandoo’s Handle of Realitumtum » Blog Archive » Exotic Fruits from Exotic Places
  4. “Got Smilie?”
  5. As 10 frutas mais exóticas « Muitolegal’s Blog
  6. Gameshop » Blog Archive » Africa Cucumber
  7. Rambutan, frutto stella, mangosteen, jackfruit : dieci incredibili frutti esotici | Le ricette di Ginger & Tomato
  8. The 10 Exotic Fruits you Must Try | Blogoncherry
  9. First we had thick shakes and then we made sausage rolls. « a very foodly diary
  10. Gareth Helm
  65. Caribtaste
  66. Bangkok Foodies

Leave your Comment

Name *

Mail (will not be published) *

Your comment

* denotes a mandatory field