With just under 2 million people, Sapporo ranks in the top five in Japan in population and welcomes seven times as many visitors every year. The city is famous as the first in Asia to host the Winter Olympics. The 1972 Games were a major success for Sapporo and the city's reputation as a winter playground endures today with the annual Snow Festival. One of the most popular annual festivals in Japan, the Sapporo Snow Festival lures millions of visitors to the city every February. ... Read more »
The original home of Sapporo beer has many fine points of interest to explore. The Sapporo Beer Museum is a popular draw of course and Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill offers superb panoramas of the city. The Susukino nightlife district is one of the most infamous in Japan, with a slew of restaurants, bars, clubs and adult entertainment. For less sinful fun, check out historic Hokkaido Shrine and beautiful Moerenuma Park.
- Clock Tower – This structure has become a symbol of the city and is the oldest building around.
- Sapporo TV Tower – A copy of the Eiffel Tower that includes a 90m-high observation deck.
- Hokkaido Pioneer Village – This historical village gives a snapshot of the country in the industrialized time.
- JR Tower – Marks the centre of Sapporo and affords incredible panoramic views.
- Former Hokkaido Prefectural Government Building – This lovely red brick structure was built in a Western style.
Sapporo Art & Culture
- Sapporo Art Park – Home to more than 74 contemporary and modern sculptures in Sapporo.
- Sapporo Beer Museum – Offers tours on the history of beer in Japan and samples of different beers.
- Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art – Collection of Japanese and Western art and includes contemporary displays.
- Hokkaido University Botanic Garden – Botanical garden that includes a museum with Hokkaido artefacts that date back to the Meiji era.
- Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art – Home to collections of glass objects and contemporary works of art.
- Tanuki Koji Shopping Arcade – A long, covered shopping area that is home to countless outlets.
- Ishiya Chocolate Factory – See the process chocolate goes through, eat at one of its restaurants or shop in one of the souvenir stores.
- Daiso Sapporo Chuo – A great place to find good bargains and local souvenirs.
- Nijō Ichiba – The place to find the best fish in Sapporo.
- Pole Town – An underground shopping area connected to the train station.
Gay & Lesbian Sapporo
- Rainbow March – This yearly pride parade in Sapporo is held each year in March.
- Lego – A friendly and wonderful bar for women.
- Club Mirror – A welcoming place to relax, have a drink and chat with friends.
- Bar Orb – A place to go for a relaxed environment and wonderful drinks.
- BYCS – A great cruising place to meet new friends.
- Odori Park – This park area covers 15 blocks of downtown.
- Sapporo Snow Festival – Held during the first week of February, this is the biggest event in Sapporo and features an ice sculpture competition.
- Moiwayama – This mountain overlooks the city and provides an especially beautiful view at night.
- Asahiyama Park – A natural park and lovely flower garden overlooking the city. A romantic place that is especially beautiful when the cherries blossom in the springtime and full of amazing colors during autumn.
- Moerenuma Park – A popular place with carefully created landscape designs that include a five-storey glass pyramid from which you can see the whole city.
- The Sapporo Dome is home to the Consadole Sapporo, the local soccer team.
- Check out the basketball games held at the Sapporo Community Dome.
- Mount Teine offer some wonderful multilevel ski slopes.
- The Toyota Big Air hosts an international snowboarding event every March in Sapporo's Makomanai Ice Arena.
- The Makomanai Open Stadium hosts local baseball games.
- Sapporo Beer Museum
- Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill
- Hokkaido Shrine
- Moerenuma Park
- Sapporo Snow Festival
- Sapporo Summer Festival
- Yosakoi Soran Festival
- Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters
- Ski Resorts
- Ramen Yokochō
- Aji No Tokeidai
- Sapporo Beer Garden
- Sky J
- Rad Brothers
- Karaoke Super PIA
- 500 Bar
- Gaijin Bar
- Kirin Beer En
Sapporo enjoys a humid continental climate with very heavy snowfall in winter and dry, hot summers.
- Winter (December to February) -8-2°C
- Spring (March to May) -4-17°C
- Summer (June to September) 12-26°C
- Fall (October to November) 0-16°C